Thursday, January 26, 2017

Alyssa Won (2002-2017)

I met Sandy when I lived on the third floor or Nelson dorm.  She was my RA (Resident Advisor/Kept the young uns' out of trouble).

One of my first memories of Scott Ferguson was being there when his fraternity tried to "kidnap" him...and I rescued him (dusting off the super cape right now) and ran into a fire hydrant with my car.
I knew both of them individually before Sandy and Scott...well, became Sandy and Scott.

Then they were...

They were a beautiful married couple with two beautiful girls.

We lost a lot of time in there and pretty much reconnected over Facebook.

The first thing I learned about them....OH HOW they loved Disney.  Yup, I said it (chuckle).

The next...bigger...better thing I learned...OH HOW THEY LOVE GOD.

They instilled it in their children.  They walked it in their lives.



I don't don't even remember the first time I heard about Alyssa's battle with cancer.  The insidious yuck that invaded her has a more intricate name, but for here...I'm calling it brain cancer.

I learned about Alyssa, her strength as she healed from surgery after surgery.  I learned about her resilience as she traveled through procedure after procedure and treatment after treatment.

She had my admiration just for that.

Then I learned about her faith.  I learned how instead of wishing for an adventure for herself with Make a Wish, she had a well built for those needing life giving CLEAN water.

I learned how she loved those around her.  I learned how she reflected Christ.

Those around her noticed.  The world noticed.

Even Matthew West wrote a song about our Alyssa...and that's what she became to so many who never met her in person, but loved her none the less.





Alyssa is a World Changer.  She changed all of our worlds.

Today fifteen year old Alyssa Ferguson went to be with Jesus. 
I think of that Mercy Me song, "I Can Only Imagine" and know Alyssa is no longer imagining. 

"I can only imagine what it will be like
When I walk by your side
I can only imagine what my eyes will see
When your face is before me
I can only imagine."




She is finding out what her reaction will be to meeting Jesus. 

In the midst of pain for Scott, Sandy, Jenna, and her extensive family and friends... this thought brings joy.

As my day progressed and I had to be out "doing" (when this world should have stopped) the picture in my head changed though...the song in my head changed.

I saw Scott and Sandy's profile pictures on Facebook and I thought...no felt... of the triumph of this moment.

It became a "raise your hands in praise"...or "fist pump in praise" moment.



ALYSSA WON!!!!  She flat out won the biggest prize EVER...to be with Jesus.



Please pray for her family and friends during this time.  We mourn for Scott, Sandy, and Jenna.  We mourn for this world's loss...NOT for Alyssa.

ALYSSA WON!

"After the crowd had been put outside, he went in and took the girl by the hand, and she got up." Matthew 9:25

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you wish to give in honor of Alyssa, please follow this link.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this. You captured exactly what so many are feeling right now. Praying for Scott, Sandy, and Jenna as well as everyone else feeling the loss of this sweet, selfless angel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been praying and am so sad to hear that the world lost a beautiful light today. She beautifully let her light shine. She touched our lives. I can't wait to meet her in Heaven.
    We are praying for your family. Sandy, I have 3 daughters in Heaven.Two were ill and we loved fiercly and said good-bye for now. But my first born died 13 years ago in a car accident.I "talk" to her everyday. It's like my right arm is missing. (((((HUGS))))) with ALL our LOVE with PRAYERS! from MN

    ReplyDelete

In the joy of following our Heavenly Father, we sometimes choose to proceed with a whisper, a verse, or a downright shove...no matter how we follow Him, the momentum that follows is like nothing we've ever experienced before.

Join the momentum...it is a beautiful place to be. It's not always easy, but then the best things never are.

Related Posts with Thumbnails