Tuesday, January 17, 2017

A Mini Ben Story....He Called Me Mama

My head is throbbing and my throat feels a bit like what asphalt I imagine feels like if you lick it...not that I've thought about it.

I wanted to capture a moment in time here though...a moment of redemption.

I will not do it justice.  There is just no way.

Benjamin has had maybe one to two fevers (I think just one really) in the last three and a half years.  He just doesn't get sick.  He has NEVER gotten as sick as he was yesterday morning.

He awoke with the barking congested cough, his face both pale and feverish at the same time.  He had accident and everything was up his back....and he was crying.  He just wanted me.  As I scrubbed my crying son down, trying to comfort him and get meds in him...my mommy heart just broke.

When we finally made it into the doctor's office, Ben climbed immediately onto my lap.  Bekah leaned her head against my shoulder.  I sat and rocked them.  After awhile my arm became tired and I let one arm sit at my side.

A little hot and sweaty hand then reached down, took my hand, and put it back around him...then tucked his hand under mine.

The flushed face and tired eyes looked up at me.

We spent over an hour in the office.  When we left, Ben was just ready to go home.  In my hurry, I had forgotten to grab his child's sports bottle (that we take everywhere) and decided to pick up a cold drink for him.

He sat in the car seat crying.  He was feeling so bad.

Then I heard it.

"MAMA!"

The cry came through a tear strained voice.

I've heard this very rarely through the years.

I heard it again last night.

"Mama"

I wanted to cry with JOY.

Our son knows I'm his mama.  Attachment for a child that has never had much to attach to is not instant.  It has taken years friends.

The battle has been worth it.

Ben is so loving with a beautiful spirit, but that "Mama" was redemption for me.  It redeemed ten years before us.  It heals cracks and mends trials.  It doesn't undo the life before us, but fully reminds us of the blood of Christ...the redemption washing over us.  The life blood redeeming us from a life before.

I know I'm not saying this right, but I don't want to forget.

Written by and Gladly Claiming,
Mama

"For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you from your ancestors, but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect." I Peter 1:18-19

2 comments:

In the joy of following our Heavenly Father, we sometimes choose to proceed with a whisper, a verse, or a downright shove...no matter how we follow Him, the momentum that follows is like nothing we've ever experienced before.

Join the momentum...it is a beautiful place to be. It's not always easy, but then the best things never are.

Related Posts with Thumbnails