Thursday, October 27, 2016

Benjamin

Last Wednesday we took Benjamin in for several procedures under sedation.

He had 8+ biopsies of his gut and colon.  He had his ear tubes taken out (with possible reinsertion) and his ears drained of fluid.


The night before was a sleepless night for me.  This was my Facebook Status from 3:30am that morning.  You may want to skip over this if you are easily made queasy (smile).  I promise it was funny at 3:30am.  I'm not sure it's ever wise to post at 3:30am though.

"Things I have learned in the last 24 hours...
1. Flushing a non potty trained child before a colonoscopy *head on desk*... there has to be a better way.
2. For the Pun Tempted- After a three person job of cleaning up the couch, ears, and actual vicinity of child, you will attempt to go to bed. You will then shoot up 30 minutes later, act mad and tell your husband a hilarious poop pun...tell him how funny you are, then go back to bed again. You will do this again 30 minutes later.
3. Attempting to sleep before a child's procedure is pointless. 10pm-Attempt to go to bed, while trying with all your might not to text poop puns to friends. 10:30pm-Unable to control yourself you go tell one to your spouse and go back to bed. You then decide to text your pregnant daughter the funniest ones. 11pm-Another pun must shared with your hubby. You remain very impressed with yourself. Back to bed you go. 11:30pm Doze off. 1:00am Wide awake. Visit with son who is also wide awake. 2am-Attempt to sleep again while writing a Facebook status in your head. 3am-Still awake. Just keep your eyes closed. Maybe at least resting them will make them not hurt tomorrow. 3:30am-Give up and write Facebook status and get ready to go.
#beingfecestious #Feelingverypoopular #YesIam13"


At 4:30 we headed down to our local pediatric surgery center.  I should say I stopped and got coffee and then we headed down there.

Benjamin just blew me away with how far he had come.

He snuggled up to me, drawing close, wanting me to kiss his face repeatedly.  He showed such major trust.  He had come so far from the little drug withdrawing boy with bite mark scars on his face.  I could never have foreseen how far my little wild man (as he came out of an adult mental institution in Eastern Europe) would come...to son, brother, nephew, grandchild.  Oh my...


My emotions were at the surface.  I was able to stay with him as they put him to sleep and his hand went limp in mine.  Walking out of that room, leaving my son in even WONDERFUL doctor's hands was painful.

After an hour, Ben came through beautifully.


Here's the basics of what we know.  Benjamin has what is referred to (in layman's terms) as a benign tumor in one of his ears, with a 80% hole in his eardrum.  What they were looking for in his gut was not found (woo hoo!).   He has gut issues seem to be mostly related to Celiac Disease.  He's our little maze.  We are wading through many questions.

We still have an Endocrinologist, a Geneticist, a GI follow up, a Ear Surgeon (with a big long official name I'm not even going to try to type out...chuckle), a CT Scan, and an MRI.

We hope to have his ear surgery before the end of the year as our deductible has been met and our co-pay will be less.

We have a lot going on right now, with only a few answers on how they will get done.  We are blessed though, most of it is trying to figure out some rare things financially.  It seems like weekly friends are sharing things that break my heart...bring me to my knees for them.  That's really what the last post is about.  It really wasn't just about us.  It was an attempt at a reminder to be gentle with the people around us.  We really don't know what's going on in their lives.  Even the ugliest of actions are often based in pain of the past or present.  Compassion and love is the best answer.

Thank you for continuing to walk with us as we proceed with this wonderful crazy life of ours.  I've been remiss at putting prayer requests below lately, but I know we (and many others) need them.  Please don't hesitate to email me or message me your prayer request.  I can put it at the end of my blog posts or keep it private and place it in my prayer journal.  It will be a privileged to pray for you.

"Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus." 
I Thessalonians 5:18

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Our Prayer Requests:
*Please pray for our continued adoption journey.  Please pray protection over our family and the ever expanding number of children (here and across the world).  The master of lies loves to mess with anyone trying to follow God.
*Please pray for a financial way.  We have funds due soon with the adoption and many unusual expenses that happen...some only every five years.  They just happen to have happened all at once during back to back adoptions.  We are taking a deep breath and trusting God.
*Please pray for our beautiful pregnant daughters  (one is a daughter-in-love, but I love her like one) and one precious extended family member who is expecting.  Our daughter Sarah is due any day and they have a lot of things they are trying to figure out. Please pray for discernment, direction, and blessing for Sarah and Ivan.   Please pray for all three of the babies and their health...and health of the mommies.
*Please pray we GLORIFY GOD in ALL THINGS.  This is the most important.

Our Friends:
*PLEASE pray for a young teen named Alyssa.  She has brain cancer and has had many brain surgeries at this point.  They just found cancer at the base of her spine.  PLEASE pray for healing.  (She is the daughter of two friends from college.)  Please also pray for her family.
*Please pray for my husband's friend at work.  He lost his mother-in-law two weeks ago. (The Windom family)

Know if I'm praying for you, I have not forgotten.  If I don't have your permission to put it here I won't in order to make sure it is only shared if you would like us to.

No comments:

Post a Comment

In the joy of following our Heavenly Father, we sometimes choose to proceed with a whisper, a verse, or a downright shove...no matter how we follow Him, the momentum that follows is like nothing we've ever experienced before.

Join the momentum...it is a beautiful place to be. It's not always easy, but then the best things never are.

Related Posts with Thumbnails