Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Drug Withdrawing, Time, and A Gift

Three years ago on June 15th, 2013 I got off a plane feeling weary and broken.  My brother and I had spent 15 hours or so on a plane with my drug withdrawing almost ten year old.

Benjamin had been kept in a shed, sensory deprived, and had bite mark scars over his face.  He was suffering as drugs exited his system.  He was attacking me as his skin felt like it was crawling.


I came home hypervigilant and broken.  The word PTSD was thrown around by those who had experienced it. Ten to twelve months later it only began to ease.   It was one of the hardest things I've ever experienced in my life.

Yet, three years ago blessing landed on that plane as well.  Hope landed on that plane.  Joy landed on that plane.

Ben has challenged everything we've known as parents like no other.  He also has made us laugh, cry with the smallest accomplishment, and stretched us to be better people.


With time his true personality came out...silly...loving...stubborn (chuckle).  I won't pretend it is all easy, but it is a journey we are so thankful to be on.

Happy Family Day Benjamin!  You are a gift we didn't even know to ask for!

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."  James 1:17



No comments:

Post a Comment

In the joy of following our Heavenly Father, we sometimes choose to proceed with a whisper, a verse, or a downright shove...no matter how we follow Him, the momentum that follows is like nothing we've ever experienced before.

Join the momentum...it is a beautiful place to be. It's not always easy, but then the best things never are.

Related Posts with Thumbnails