Monday, April 25, 2016

Timothy is in Our Arms

Five in the morning was all our bodies would let us sleep.  They whispered all night long, “It’s really the middle of the day, get up.”  

Finally I gave in, knowing I wanted to organize a little before we took custody of Timothy today.  After we ate a lavish breakfast buffet, we headed up to the room to wait...and dwell on every moment of this countdown the last year had brought us to.

I told a friend that it was like the last double loop on a roller coaster.  You KNOW it’s gonna be THE BEST, but the butterflies threaten to fly out your nose.

Our guide, Steve, showed up at our hotel room about 20 minutes early.  Of course I’m in the bathroom screaming, “Just a second!!!”   Timing is just everything, isn’t it (chuckle).

He took us to the bank to exchange some money.  I think he possibly thinks I’m a loon for carrying a huge 
backpack around, a stroller, and a small packpack for Timothy.  “Yes, the backpack is heavy, but has our adoption papers (never leaving my hand), passports, Lexi’s meds, hand sanitizer, and a pet troll (because I never know
what my children will throw in there).” 

After we hit the bank...okay, better choice of words...after we exchanged money, we walked to the civil affairs  office to meet Timothy.  We sat in these flexible red chairs (that you can kind of bounce on).  I kept on thinking, “All these people in this office are tiny.  I am SOOO gonna break this chair!”  As I rocked (I might as well break it doing something I love), we watched the tail end of a civil marriage ceremony (the pictures being taken).  When anyone marries a foreigner, they do it here.

I looked at the clock...ten thirty and no Timothy.
Ten Forty rolled around and we heard footsteps....nope.
At eleven we heard a jumbling of noises.

Around the corner came two women....and a little boy that has had his fingerprints IN my heart for the last year.  I wasn’t looking at a picture.  I was looking at my son.








I stood up, chair not broken yet, as the nanny urged Timothy into my arms. He was so quiet, but willingly let me take him.  Quickly I handed him a toy wooden police car.  His eyes became huge.  In a whisper I said, “Wah-eye-knee Bao Bao” (I love you Bao Bao, the name they call him.).  The book I had made came out next.  I assumed 
he didn't speak much, yet as I read the names of every child and his daddy....HE REPEATED THEM AFTER ME.  




Lexi and I’s hearts were in our eyes watching this little guy. He’s smart.



Saying, "YES YES YES!"
(All photo creds go to Lexi, thus she's not in the pics.)


There’s several things we have found out about Timothy.  
*He is quiet and sweet, only crying when we went on the elevator the first two times.  
*He observes everything and repeats everything.  
*He doesn’t know how to drink from a cup at all.  He was bottle fed his entire life. (We had to go to Walmart for
  bottles.)  Thankfully Lexi suggested we could poke a hole in the top of a water bottle to keep him hydrated.  
*I caught him singing, for just a minute, while we were walking.  He has HUGE eyes.

These are the even more important things we now know.
He’s is no longer an orphan.  
He is a son.  
He is a brother.  
He is a grandson.  
He is a nephew.  
He is also an Uncle (thanks to Ivan and Sarah :-))  
HE IS A GIFT.

As I sat with him on the bed and rocked, I sung to him Jesus Loves You.  That is when the tears finally came.  No child should have to wait almost four years to fill his mommy’s arms around him as they sung of God’s Love.

I held my son as he fell asleep for the first time in his mommy’s arms.

God, thank you.  I say this publicly, because this child is a gift from You.  You are the only one great in this.  
Thank you you for thinking us worthy to raise this little boy....thank you.



6 comments:

  1. Beautiful post, Kat. Timothy is precious. I'll continue to pray for your trip and your family in the coming weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I am crying for joy!
    Oh, he is lovely, and he has no idea how blessed he is!
    Thank you for posting. I woke up this morning thinking of you and Timothy, and I will continue to pray that things go smoothly. I am thrilled for you, and so blessed by what you are doing!
    GOD BLESS YOUR FAMILY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have to LOVE those boys! He is a doll. If you see a maroon van circling your block at home, it might be me coming for him! LOL!! You are incredibly blessed, but I don't have to tell you that! ((((HUGS)))) with lots of prayers!

    ReplyDelete

In the joy of following our Heavenly Father, we sometimes choose to proceed with a whisper, a verse, or a downright shove...no matter how we follow Him, the momentum that follows is like nothing we've ever experienced before.

Join the momentum...it is a beautiful place to be. It's not always easy, but then the best things never are.

Related Posts with Thumbnails