Monday, February 15, 2016

Are You Willing to be Humiliated?

So I don't embarrass easily.  Whether it's the Southern Californian in me, or the fact that we are just big giant goof balls, I don't know.

My husband and I prank each other on Valentines Day.  If you've been around this blog very long you may remember me mentioning it (chuckle).  This is the joy the kids feel each year as Valentines Day approaches.  Forget the chocolate!

One year Thomas spray painted on my winter (dead) lawn "I LOVE KAT" in  huge red letters.  It was over the front yard (of course)

A couple years ago the kids and I filled his Suburban up to the top (while he was at work) with balloons...that were full of sparkles.  He had to pop them to drive the 45 minutes home.  He looked like a fairy threw up on him.  For MONTHS we'd find sparkles on him.

While in the military in Germany he carved six foot high letters in the deep snow also saying "I LOVE KAT" (to be seen by our fourth floor apartment).  Other husbands were in trouble because they didn't think of it.

I changed his ringtone to "I'm too Sexy" and turned the ringer all the way up.  He didn't catch on until it rang within feet of about 30 people (at work when totally silent).  He was asked for quite awhile if "He was too sexy for ________" (whatever work he needed to do that came to his coworkers minds).

He wrote all over my van (and again this year).  The back said, "Honk if you love your spouse."  I hadn't read the back of the car and was honked at all day.  Started freaking me out a bit.

I packed a beautiful, elaborate Valentines day lunch for work one year (and put lingerie in it).  Yup, he pulled it out in front of his friends.  I didn't expect that...neither did he.  (That's why he pulled it out to see what it was.)

So you can see why I don't embarrass easily.

This year (with the financial/gift help of family that loves this game that knew we couldn't afford much) when Thomas was asleep I filled our bedroom floor (and ceiling) with over 70 balloons.  My mom had bought a 4 foot Teddy bear for me to use, so I tucked it in where I sleep.  I couldn't even figure out how to get back to my bed (over the balloons), so I slept on the couch from 3:00 am on.

He rolled over to put his arm around me this morning, but found himself snuggling with a giant bear.

 
The balloons on the floor

Thomas did NOT wake up.  I was so LOUD.

Ceiling

To show the size of the bear.

Of course, it being Sunday, my husband painted our car.






So complete humiliation was not in my vocabulary.

Until I felt this question ring through my heart on Sunday, "Are you willing to be humiliated for God?  Not just embarrassed or uncomfortable, but HUMILIATED.

Go, and loose the sackcloth from your waist and take off your sandals from your feet,” and he did so, walking naked and barefoot.   Then the Lord said, “As my servant Isaiah has walked naked and barefoot for three years as a sign and a portent against Egypt and Cush,  so shall the king of Assyria lead away the Egyptian captives and the Cushite exiles, both the young and the old, naked and barefoot, with buttocks uncovered, the nakedness of Egypt." Isaiah:20:2b-3
Isaiah walked around naked and barefoot for THREE YEARS.

NAKED

If I really imagine it...(shaking head hard back and forth)

I can't.

Yet I found myself at Church on Sunday, sitting in a pew, wondering..."Am I willing to be humiliated for God?"

Humiliated:to reduce to a lower position in one's own eyes or others' eyes: Mortify.

Here's the thing.  I know some that will say that you will not suffer humiliation when you follow God.  I disagree.

When you follow God...REALLY FOLLOW HIM... it doesn't always make sense to the world.  It doesn't always make sense to fellow Christians. You can be 100% sure you are doing the right thing and find it EXTREMELY uncomfortable to do it.

That brought me to Jonah.  He really didn't want to go to Nineveh in the first place, but when God did not destroy Nineveh, he was MAD.

 "When God saw what they did, how they turned from their evil way, God relented of the disaster that he had said he would do to them, and he did not do it.   But it displeased Jonah exceedingly, and he was angry.  And he prayed to the Lord and said, “O Lord, is not this what I said when I was yet in my country? That is why I made haste to flee to Tarshish; for I knew that you are a gracious God and merciful, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love, and relenting from disaster. Therefore now, O Lord, please take my life from me, for it is better for me to die than to live.”  Jonah 3:10-4:3
HE WANTED TO DIE.

(My guess? Remember, this is just a guess.   He felt humiliation, instead of exalting God at His merciful ways.)

Jonah shared what would happen, but they repented.  He whale watched for three days and three nights from inside a whale, and this is all that happened...MERCY?!!!

We seem to forget at times, we are humans.  HE IS GOD.

Christ was spit on, all alone, those closest to Him denying they knew Him.  What if that happened to us?

Christ did this.

Then the soldiers of the governor took Jesus into the governor's headquarters,and they gathered the whole battalion before him. And they stripped him and put a scarlet robe on him, and twisting together a crown of thorns, they put it on his head and put a reed in his right hand. And kneeling before him, they mocked him, saying, “Hail, King of the Jews!”  And they spit on him and took the reed and struck him on the head." Matthew 27:27-30

Christ absolutely knew...knew the big picture...KNEW.  HE CHOSE IT.

 He did it all.

Would I be willing to say what God told me to, even if others laughed and didn't believe me? (Noah)

Would I be willing to lead in a way that would bring humiliation if God didn't act? (Moses and the parting of the Red Sea)

Would I be willing to to speak hard words to someone, knowing God can have mercy, and people MAY wonder if I just made it all up in the first place? (Jonah)

WOULD I BE WILLING TO BE SPIT ON, ALL ALONE, THOSE CLOSEST TO ME DENYING THEY KNEW ME????

Following God isn't always roses and tulips.

It can be gut wrenching, as my friends have followed God to children they knew wouldn't live long on this earth, knowing these children bless their lives. (His Hands and Feet Today)

It can be an unknown future, as friends of ours sold what they owned and moved to a foreign country to minister to hurting children. (Wide Awake International)

It has to be COMPLETELY leaning on God, as other friends have sold almost all their earthly possessions to start a ministry to show other what we ALL need to be doing. (2nd World Experiment)

It can mean stepping forward alone.  It can mean sharing a word God has given you that no one wants to hear.  It can mean: being stripped naked, everything you have, laying out in the open for God.

I've been chewing on this since yesterday.  I can't stop

Am I willing to be humiliated for God?

 And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or lands, for my name's sake, will receive a hundredfold and will inherit eternal life.  But many who are first will be last, and the last first. 
 Matthew 19:29-30
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Today has been a rough day.  Today I feel very alone in a room full of people.  I am sad and discouraged.   I wait on God.

God leads and we follow.  God provides for what HE puts in front of us.  I wish I was that brave person that was never scared.  I'm not always though.  I'm kinda waiting for a whale to swallow me.

We have so much money to pay in front of us.  We have some due last week.  Some things I cannot share.  I don't understand what's happening.  Friends are blogging and sharing our need, but it's so quiet.  Yet I know so much happens behind the scenes.  I've seen it so many times.  God will call who He calls.

He called us to step forward.   We did.

Now we wait, sometimes with tears in my eyes, but we wait.


Call it a reason to retreat
I got some dreams that are bigger than me
I might be outmatched, outsized, the underdog in the fight of my life
Is this so crazy to believe


That You gave me the stars put them out of my reach
Called me to waters a little too deep
Oh, I've never been so aware of my need
You keep on making me see
It's way beyond me
It's way beyond me
Yeah, it's out of my league
It's way beyond me
It's way beyond me
It's way beyond ...


Anything that I got the strength to do
In over my head keeps me countin' on You
I'm leaving the sweet spot, sure shot
Tradin' it all for the plans You got
Is it so crazy to believe


You take me to the place where I know I need You
Straight to the depths that I can't handle on my own
And Lord I know, I know I need You
So take me to Your great ...
Take me to Your great unknown


No comments:

Post a Comment

In the joy of following our Heavenly Father, we sometimes choose to proceed with a whisper, a verse, or a downright shove...no matter how we follow Him, the momentum that follows is like nothing we've ever experienced before.

Join the momentum...it is a beautiful place to be. It's not always easy, but then the best things never are.

Related Posts with Thumbnails