Monday, June 15, 2015

"God I Do Not Understand"

"Our job is obedience, God is in the results."

This phrase has been said a lot around here this week.  It's been said through some tears.  It has been said through peace and triumph.

Somehow I think we've Amercanized the Gospel.  We teach prosperity, not obedience.  We teach IF we are REALLY following God, everything will fall perfectly into place and will happen just like we hope.

Have we really made God that small?  If everything our Heavenly Father does can be understood by our human brains, then we would be putting our Mighty God in a box that He does not fit in.

On a more minor note, that would also be saying that God (who gave us freedom of choice) has said we will no longer suffer the results from other's choices.  Somehow, I don't see the Bible saying that.

God DOES move mountains and shut (or open) doors.  That I will NEVER deny.

Yet our Heavenly Father's Will is bigger than our human minds will ever completely understand.  That's the way it should be.

When our faith does not recognize  that, there is a risk of turning away during hard, painful, breaking times.

“For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
    neither are your ways my ways,”
declares the Lord.
“As the heavens are higher than the earth,
    so are my ways higher than your ways
    and my thoughts than your thoughts."  Isaiah 55:8-9


At times (even very recently) I have reminded myself through tears...through saying, "God, I do not understand."

And that is okay, as long as we understand we are not always supposed to.

1 comment:

In the joy of following our Heavenly Father, we sometimes choose to proceed with a whisper, a verse, or a downright shove...no matter how we follow Him, the momentum that follows is like nothing we've ever experienced before.

Join the momentum...it is a beautiful place to be. It's not always easy, but then the best things never are.

Related Posts with Thumbnails