Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Terminal for Christ

Epaphroditus, you've heard of him right?

Ya, me neither, or at least I didn't remember.

He was a messenger (sent from Philippi) to Paul when he was on house arrest in Rome.  Epaphroditus came to help attend Paul and in the process became seriously ill.

Truthfully, I can barely pronounce Epaphroditus.  I had not even remembered reading his name before today (though I'm sure I attempted to sound it out at some point).

I literally devoured these verses this morning referring to him.

"So then, welcome him in the Lord with great joy, and honor people like him, because he almost died for the work of Christ. He risked his life to make up for the help you yourselves could not give me." Philippians 2:29-30

Though I don't think I'm to the point of naming a child Epaphroditus, this blew me away.  HE RISKED HIS LIFE to help a servant of God.

He was terminal.

Actually, we all are.

We will all die, yes, but it's more than that.

We are terminal for Christ....or at least we should be.

"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain." Philippians 1:21

We could call it death to ourselves....

"I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me." Galations 2:20a 

....but it's more than that.

We need to be terminal for Christ.

Our lives should be sacrificed for Him.  To live should be a privilege and to die an honor.  We should be willing to seek going beyond "comfortable" and "routine" to "fear inducing" and "crazy".

One of my favorite definitions of terminal is "extremely or hopelessly severe" (Mirriam Webster).

Are we extremely or hopelessly severe for God? Meaning we are so lost in Him and in eternity that there is NO hope to walk away in one piece?

Another definition? "predicted to lead to death, especially slowly; incurable." (Google)

Is our walk with God so relentless that it is incurable?

If it's not we need to evaluate our relationship with Him.  What have we given up?  What is God to our lives? What can He ask of us that we will not answer to?  

Then we need to fix it.

I never thought life would ever bring me to the point of telling someone that I hope they were terminal.  

I never thought I'd say it's time to get terminal with our faith.

Here it is though.  This is the day.

This is the day we announce we are terminal, relentless and incurable, so lost in Christ there is no hope of walking away.  It's time.  It's now.

Let's be terminal for HIM. 


2 comments:

  1. Awesome post! I love what you've been saying on here recently! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having had poor health since I was in my 30s; has been a lesson in terminal blessings for me! I'm not so sure I'd have "seen" the value of being terminal without having the poor health as a motivator. Once I accepted being terminal, I couldn't just quit serving, or quit having faith! I totally agree, we need to be terminal!!
    I hear His voice through your words! ((((((HUGS))))))))
    I named my Julius and Paul after the story in Acts 27. I'm always amazed at those who helped Paul!:o)

    ReplyDelete

In the joy of following our Heavenly Father, we sometimes choose to proceed with a whisper, a verse, or a downright shove...no matter how we follow Him, the momentum that follows is like nothing we've ever experienced before.

Join the momentum...it is a beautiful place to be. It's not always easy, but then the best things never are.

Related Posts with Thumbnails