Monday, July 14, 2014

Privilege....Are You Ready?

One of my children came to me today.  They asked for a privilege that, well (to tell you the truth), they are not ready for.  They just don't have the maturity for it yet.

I explained to them that this privilege comes when the judgement is there to use it properly.  Whether it's something you get to do/have/watch, these things come with judgement (not always age).

I shared with this child that when the judgement is there, ABSOLUTELY they will be able to have this privilege.  They were just not ready to handle it yet.

Not quite yet.....

As my amazing kid walked away, it hit me immediately.  I asked myself, "How often do we ask God for things that we are not quite ready for?"

It made me think of early in our marriage.  My husband was in the military and (as you probably know) we didn't make a lot of money.  We had a house on base with utilities paid, but our budget was tight.  I had every penny budgeted for to the last dime.  NO JOKE! It was crazy.

 We even had a little savings, so I thought I was the money guru.

NOT

God had given me what I could handle.

Eventually, after a couple of years (very early in our marriage), we came into a little extra money.  This money proved to both my husband and I that we were not ready to handle having the "extra" at this point. We were not wise, using it for the furthering of God's kingdom.  We did not save, but used it on things temporal.

Though we wanted to be (in the American ideal) more financially comfortable.  We were not ready.

(I know now that "comfortable" is the last thing we want to be.)

This was a privilege we were not ready for.

“Whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much, and whoever is dishonest with very little will also be dishonest with much.  So if you have not been trustworthy in handling worldly wealth, who will trust you with true riches? And if you have not been trustworthy with someone else’s property, who will give you property of your own?" Luke 16:10-12

Though we were not dishonest per se, this verse is very fitting.  The American Standard Version translates the word slightly different though.  Instead of dishonest, it translates as "unrighteous".

Look at the definition of righteousness/righteous.

Righteousness: the fulfillment of the demands of a relationship.  (Biblical Dictionary)

Righteous: acting in accord with divine or moral law :  free from guilt or sin: morally right or justifiable  (Mirriam Webster)

Were we unrighteous? Yes, absolutely.  Some may have felt our actions were justifiable.  It was our money after all.

Wait, no it wasn't.  It was God's.  Everything we have is God's.

I prayed for only what we could handle after that.  If we were not ready to use it for God's glory, then we didn't need it.
Often, we pray for things...situations... (I believe) that we are not ready for.  We may even rush ahead to make it happen.

Why has "Mr./Mrs. Right" not come along yet?
Why have, through tons of effort, have I not been financially blessed?
Why has my deepest desire not come true, when I KNOW it's honoring to God?

Though this is NOT always the reason, at times we are not ready for the privilege.

What you are asking for may be God honoring.  It may be in His plans.  (Though I firmly believe God often has better plans.)

Yet God sees.  He sees our weaknesses.  He sees if He gives it to us now, it may not bring out the beauty....and if He waits...OH THE STUNNING BEAUTY OF GOD!!!!

PRIVILEGE

Hmmmm....it's rather interesting when parenting makes me realize how much like a child I am.  It makes me realize how reliant on the FATHER that I need to be.

I pray I'm ready for all He grants us when the time comes....

and truthfully, I can't WAIT to see what plans He has in store!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

In the joy of following our Heavenly Father, we sometimes choose to proceed with a whisper, a verse, or a downright shove...no matter how we follow Him, the momentum that follows is like nothing we've ever experienced before.

Join the momentum...it is a beautiful place to be. It's not always easy, but then the best things never are.

Related Posts with Thumbnails