Saturday, July 19, 2014

Laughter and a Few Thoughts on Following God

Yesterday we joined craziness...or actually he joined us.

A friend from twenty years ago, Christian comedian, Bob Smiley (and his two REALLY cool boys Colter and Zander) stopped by our house to catch up briefly.  It was just a short stop on the way to his "engagement" with Tim Hawkins. (They have a very "special" relationship.)


I have to tell you, though he's always been funny.  His heart for God is what I believe draws people to him.  The fact that his sons were as impressive as they are is a testimony to he and his wife's parenting.

I hear they only use duct tape occasionally now ;-).


Laughing before the show...ya, it hadn't even started yet.

Tom, Bob, Scott (Tom's best friend) and my husband was being a crazy boy in front.

The teens got to be influenced by increased insanity. 


I don't often get to see old friends from the past, but am thankful for every instance we are able to remember our goofy youth.  We're sane now....with ten children....dogs, cats, fish, lizards, and  ferrets.  Goofiness is not allowed (pretend with me).

If you would like to spend some time comatose from laughing hard, check out the stuff of Bob Smiley.

All goofiness aside, we were thankful for the time.

So I woke up this morning (barely) and started the new day in God's Word.  Don't go running scared, I just want to share a little something.

As I started reading in 1 Peter this morning, I found a theme coming up...echoed in my heart.  Here's the thing, it's a message I think someone may be needing to hear.  I got that impression (no, it wasn't the voices in my head).

There are a couple of ideas, here in America, that seem to be spreading like wildfire.  Oh, They're not unique to the good ol' U.S.A., but prevalent.  These ideas (at times) can cause people to turn away from the path where God has directed them.

* It should be easy to follow God.  Hardship and adversity will not be present if I'm doing God's will.
*Others should understand my calling and support it.

We know the lies satan likes to tell (see "Epiphanies and Lies" and "The Lies satan Tell About Adoption" ).  He's not stupid.  The thing is, we know he loses.  God wins.

God never said following His will is easy OR will even sound sane at the time.  I would hate it if God fit in the box the world tries to put Him in.  If we really could fathom God's ways, I'd be worried.  He's GOD!

As our family has grown in size to the blessing it's become, we traveled through some serious muck/conflict with those not called as we were.

Though I've written about this before (see "The Alternative"), God led me through some verses today.  I hope they will be a balm to those in the midst of a battle to follow God's will.

God's word is bigger and more potent AND important than anything I could say.

"But how is it to your credit if you receive a beating for doing wrong and endure it? But if you suffer for doing good and you endure it, this is commendable before God.  To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps." 1 Peter 2:20

"Who is going to harm you if you are eager to do good?  But even if you should suffer for what is right, you are blessed. 'Do not fear their threats; do not be frightened.'  But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander. For it is better, if it is God’s will, to suffer for doing good than for doing evil. For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive in the Spirit." 1 Peter 3:13-18


"However, if you suffer as a Christian, do not be ashamed, but praise God that you bear that name." 1 Peter 4:16


"So then, those who suffer according to God’s will should commit themselves to their faithful Creator and continue to do good." 1 Peter 4:19


May God sustain you as you battle to follow Him...KNOWING that no man's affirmation can beat the affirmation of GOD.

3 comments:

  1. Love this, Kat. May we always seek God's approval, not man's. Keep blogging, girlfriend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow- I had seriously wanted to post about 1 Peter chap 1 this week but did not because of the flack I get from those who attack. I know- then satan wins when I hold back. I just get tired y'know. Worn, but of course nothing compared to Paul. Yeah, what am I even whining about. So you have inspired me! Thanks Sister. (((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))

    ReplyDelete

In the joy of following our Heavenly Father, we sometimes choose to proceed with a whisper, a verse, or a downright shove...no matter how we follow Him, the momentum that follows is like nothing we've ever experienced before.

Join the momentum...it is a beautiful place to be. It's not always easy, but then the best things never are.

Related Posts with Thumbnails