Sunday, July 20, 2014

"Given Reign To"

Just before we headed to Church an hour away (to answer an invitation to visit)...

I love pictures of sibling love.

We visited a mega Church.  HUGE!

I'm not sure I've ever seen as many motorcycles as I did on our way home! 
They were in front of us as far as we could see and in back of us. 
 We didn't get nervous until they started weaving in and out of traffic 
and doing stunts (standing, wheelies, etc.).  It was one of those things 
that turned from "Kids look! Cool!" to praying we didn't hit anyone.

...something popped up at home.

When I asked one of my children why they made a choice they did, they said,

"I was mad."

Lightening Bolt

Epiphany

Light Bulb

Anger given reign to usually leads to sin.

Yes, righteous anger exists.  Jesus showed righteous anger:

On reaching Jerusalem, Jesus entered the temple courts and began driving out those who were buying and selling there. He overturned the tables of the money changers and the benches of those selling doves,  and would not allow anyone to carry merchandise through the temple courts.  And as he taught them, he said, “Is it not written: ‘My house will be called a house of prayer for all nations’? But you have made it ‘a den of robbers.’ 
Mark 11:15

Most of my anger?  Ya, not righteous and really will serve no purpose or help someone to grow.  Most anger only serves to vent my lack of "taking my thoughts captive".  Righteous anger absolutely exists, but mine is only occasionally that.

I realized that giving a reign to most of our anger is really NOT bringing about the righteous life that God desires.

Shoot!  Yup, He told me this.  I just now got it.

"My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, because human anger does not produce the righteousness that God desires."  James 1:19-20

I never liked anger.  I never did a happy dance when I was angry.  I tried not to get angry.

I also never really thought about what anger leads to.  I made an excuse that I had a "right" to be angry.

 Why? Someone did something that was not right? Oh, I've never done that. (Nose Growing)

Anger that was given reign served what purpose? Did it teach the individual it was directed at? No, about 95% of the time.

I think the key phrase above is "given reign to".  Sometimes we do have a reason, healthy normal emotion, to be angry.  That is not where the sin often lies.  It's when we let anger have reign and takes root.

When anger takes root, often sin blooms.

In teaching my child I had a truth, a lesson I've learned all my life finally solidified.

Finally...I'm a slow learner.

"'In your anger do not sin': Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, and do not give the devil a foothold." Ephesians 4:26-27

"Fools give full vent to their rage,
    but the wise bring calm in the end." Proverbs 29:11


"A person’s wisdom yields patience;
    it is to one’s glory to overlook an offense." Proverbs 19:11


No comments:

Post a Comment

In the joy of following our Heavenly Father, we sometimes choose to proceed with a whisper, a verse, or a downright shove...no matter how we follow Him, the momentum that follows is like nothing we've ever experienced before.

Join the momentum...it is a beautiful place to be. It's not always easy, but then the best things never are.

Related Posts with Thumbnails