Friday, May 24, 2013

A Dysfunctional Rooster and a Forever God Story (Court and THE Video)

Five am? Really?  Bright as day and I couldn't sleep.  I know many get up that early on purpose, but you guys are too cool for me.  I can't do it...unless I really need the sleep, then apparently I can.

I got up, organized a little, and finally climbed back into our bed around six am.... wondering why I didn't hear the dysfunctional rooster.

Yes, he is dysfunctional.  He's kinda our buddy.  He crows...I don't know...somewhere around 3-4pm, but not in the morning. 

You see (wait for it) he's checking out the CHICas. 

Yes, I made that joke (and laughed uproariously) at about midnight last night.  Of course that's the hour to discuss deep subjects like dysfunctional roosters.

Reigning myself in...

I shot up in bed at around 7:45 am, afraid I missed the alarm (which wasn't set until 8:00 am of course).  We needed to leave the house at 9:15 to get to the notary (looks like the word "Hotopic" in English...but that's another story).  We needed some documents notarized for court.

It's been a little humid here, so I wasn't looking forward to getting into my short/long skirt (also slightly dysfunctional) with pants underneath, sweater, and tank top. 

Side note: I don't wear skirts.  I just don't.  I'm a plop down on the floor, play with the kids in weird positions gal.  I love skirts....beautiful, flattering...but I know my ability to "flash" people.  Believe me, pants are wiser for me.  For court though, I decided I needed a skirt.  Since my 16 year old and 12 year old daughters STOLE borrowed my skirts, I needed to order a new one.  I found a long (cheap...my qualification besides the length) skirt that would NOT lead to any embarrassing moments. 

Ya, only I would end up with a confused and slightly dysfunctional SKIRT.  Seriously?!

It came in an it was LONG...think tripping on it in heals.  It was also SHEER.  Yup, the long part was sheer and the underskirt (not see through) was a skirt I wouldn't let my girls wear it was so short.  I was stuck.  In order to preserve my modesty (and everyone else's eyes) I put stretch pants underneath...which I also ordered.  Only I would get the one pair of stretch pants on earth that were an inch thick.  Craziness!!!

Enough about clothes...(except every time we go to court we forget one item of clothing...this time is was Thomas' belt)...

Court...did I mention court WAS today.  Yup, we've been to court, but I'm telling a story, so you'll just have to wait (wink).

After the notary, we arrived at the courthouse.  It was a double story building, much like a large rectangular house.  The white paint was peeling.  I would have a picture, but I took it on my phone and can't upload it while in country (woops).

The second story hall reminded me so much of Russia.  We sat on a bench that lined wood laminate covered walls (bleached white and LIGHT cherry wood). 

We were finally called in...

The judge (who was kind, but very official) sat in a black leather chair that towered over even him (and he was a big guy).  On either side sat the two "jurors".  Their table was in the front of the room.  In front of that were two small tables facing each other.  We (Thomas, I, and Luda) sat at one table (microphone in the center to pick up our words).  The prosecutor, institution representative, and social welfare representative sat at the table facing us.  Took all I had not to cross my legs (apparently it's only for social situations).

They had us sit and stand alternately, asking us questions.  After an hour of stating who everyone in the courtroom was, MANY questions, and reading off the list of documents (everything being translated by Luda), it was recommended we be allowed to adopt Benjamin (by those at all the tables facing each other).  The judge and jury then went to deliberate.

I stand in awe (actually sit, I was wearing heels and my feet hurt) that God would bring us to this point.  Adoption is such a reflection of the plans God has for each of us.  The journey is like a piece of tangible God love (agape love) presented to us in such a perfect gift...a child.  I can't find the words to describe the spiritual journey of adoption.  It's too big...too huge.

When the judge said that Benjamin was the son of Thomas and Kathy, it wasn't the "adoptive son"....it was SON.  God creates families.  He weaves together DNA placing just as much a tangible connection to our children through adoption as to our children that are biological.  There's something more than DNA.  There is love and a family created by God. 

Yes, you read the above right.  Today Benjamin became our son. 

We now begin the ten day period of waiting.  For ten days anyone can appeal (though it normally doesn't happen).  During this time we prepare Benjamin by visiting him twice a day and just letting him get to know us.  Our adventurous spirit comes out here.  No one else speaks English (our facilitator is leaving for the ten day period).  This should be interesting...smile...laughing.

With no drum roll and sleepy eyes...I would like to present to you the video we promised.  Meet our son Benjamin....

"Such is the confidence that we have through Christ toward God.  Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God, who has made us competent to be ministers of a new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit.  For the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life." 2 Corinthians 3:4-6 (Our "Verse of the Day" today)



11 comments:

  1. Praise God and doing the happy dance back home in Texas!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow. Just wow! Words escape me right now after watching that video. He is so expressive and communicative and even more gorgeous than just the pictures show. Many congrats and blessings to you and your beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim and AndrewFriday, May 24, 2013

    Andrew and I watched the video. I have to say I cried my eyes out. What a precious little man! Andrew was wondering about the buildings. I know that you can't give many details publicly, but he was wondering if you knew which building Hanson was in (possibly). Andrew says that he is praying for you, your family and Benjamin everyday.

    It's a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. Wow. He's YOURS. Praise God alone! Praying for you until you're home with Benjamin!
    -Beka

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful! Praying you may see Heath, Hanson or Samuel!

    Sue H.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAY YAY YAY!!!! I'm soooooo happy to wake up to this!!! Praise God!

    You kill me. I love you! Thanks for making me laugh :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Umm, I want to see this skirt!?
    And congratulations, of course! I am so happy that Benjamin is no longer an orphan!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are right that laugh is PRECIOUS. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so glad all went well for you today. What a day of rejoicing it must be for you all!! You know without me saying that you have a wonderful little boy there. What blessings you will be to each other. I have to say I am tearing up as I type. But just wanted to let you know that your love and devotion to this child touches my heart. Indeed, you have seen the face of God in each other today! Thank you for sharing. Deborah Baker, Nova Scotia, Canada

    ReplyDelete
  10. Praise God! First off...you are hilarious! The video is amazing. Thank you for sharing this awesome blessing. He is BEAUTIFUL!

    ReplyDelete
  11. PRAISE GOD!!!!! PRAISE GOD!!! The Lord is good! Your cup is OVERFLOWING!! (weeping with JOY! with you) (((((((HUGE HUGS))))))))))

    ReplyDelete

In the joy of following our Heavenly Father, we sometimes choose to proceed with a whisper, a verse, or a downright shove...no matter how we follow Him, the momentum that follows is like nothing we've ever experienced before.

Join the momentum...it is a beautiful place to be. It's not always easy, but then the best things never are.

Related Posts with Thumbnails