Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Taking a Break and Managing the Pain

Today I took a break.  It wasn't intentional, but my body let me know stopping was mandatory.  I woke up this morning throwing up.  No, I'm not sick.

Really, I hadn't slept very well (to put it mildly) for two weeks before surgery.  It wasn't worry, but feeling like there was so much I needed to do that my mind just wouldn't stop.  Since surgery, for very blessed reasons, I haven't slept well either. 

It had taken a toll.

Today I slept away most of the day.

My husband and I discussed it and though my mind said "get up and do", tomorrow would have been worse if I didn't take advantage of my husband being here and sleep.

Right now I'm actually typing with my eyes closed.  Yup, my super Jedi typing trick.

I wanted to say thank you though.  Thank you to those who have been praying.  Thank you to those who have shared their similar journeys and helped me stay focused this week.  Thank you to those who have brought things or otherwise helped our family and we traveled this journey. 

Today I have another thank you too.  Thank you to those who have been sharing with us (privately and publicly) what might be causing some of the night issues Jael has been having.  We've been researching everything and are taking a first step in trying to figure out what's causing this.  Logic says maybe it's pain, but on further evaluation, we just are not sure.

First, we have decided to try to keep Jael on only Ibuprofen and Acetaminophen tonight.  The reason we felt this may be the medicine vs. other issues is because of what we've been seeing.

Jael slept wonderfully in the hospital when she had an epidural.  The day we left is the day they removed the epidural and started her on Tylenol with Codeine.  All of a sudden our little girl who was telling us she was tired in the hospital, stopped taking naps and was very restless at night.  We felt at first that it was some sort of pain/muscle spasms.  It didn't click that it may have been the meds until...

The doctors had recommended we go to only prescription meds at night after 2 days.  We did decide to wait three, since they said we should use our judgement on what she needed.  When we took her off daytime heavy duty drugs, she immediately started taking naps again.  Her naps were also peaceful.  That's when we started wondering. 

So tonight we are going off of the heavy duty stuff (on a trial basis) altogether.  So far she's itching some, but hasn't woken up really upset as she had around 45 minutes to an hour after falling asleep.  She a little fidgety, but she seems to be itching as she's healing and she's itching a little in her sleep.

We have also moved her back to her bed RIGHT beside our bed (literally, I can still hold her hand).  Thomas and I both need sleep as well, and we feel she might sleep better in her own bed.


We don't know if we have the answer yet, but are making an effort to narrow it down.

If you have a moment, please pray her pain is minimal and she's able to sleep. We still are praying for infection to stay away as well.

P.S. Ignore spelling, grammar, and total confusion please...sleep typing is not my super power (smile).

"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go" Joshua 1:9

3 comments:

  1. Continuing prayers for your sweet girl and for you momma! Hard stuff......needs and requires sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  2. been following your little one's progress. thanks for taking time with all that is going on to post on J's recovery. Praying for this sweet girl as she heals, and for you her family that God will supply your every need according to his riches in Christ. Miss seeing you at co-op!!

    ReplyDelete

In the joy of following our Heavenly Father, we sometimes choose to proceed with a whisper, a verse, or a downright shove...no matter how we follow Him, the momentum that follows is like nothing we've ever experienced before.

Join the momentum...it is a beautiful place to be. It's not always easy, but then the best things never are.

Related Posts with Thumbnails