Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Last Night, Today, and Tomorrow (The "Telling" Day)

For the first time since Monday night I am home.  Thomas took the night shift so I could get some sleep.  I hated leaving my little one, but I also KNOW if I am to continue to function I have to get some sleep.  This is a marathon, not a sprint. 

Last night, though it went as smooth as it could, was exhausting.

At about 10:00 pm last night Jael's stomach was as hard as a rock.  They ended up having to place a catheter to drain her bladder.  She was a rock star and (truthfully) I think it was a relief to her.

She slept well, considering it was mandatory that we wake her every 1 1/2 to 2 hours all night.  It was necessary to check her vitals and make sure everything continued to go as smoothly. 

By the wee hours of the morning, as her nurse Heather came to check her blood pressure, I would crack my eyes open and reach to hold Jael's hand...then fade pretty quickly.  Jael did just about the same thing.

Jael continues to astound us. 

She woke up at around 7:00 am, just like at home, though got a little sick to her stomach this morning (due to meds and an empty stomach).

Food helped and, just like earlier, she just showed her strength over and over again.


 
 
We even had a few visitors we did not expect.  The first one Jael was fine with.



The next two therapy dogs...not so much.  Tiny dogs, but she had enough....

She continued to stay hooked up to all her wires, tubes, and monitors today.  Everything seems to rely on everything else.  The Epidural, though could have come out, was kept in for a form of pain management (not complaining)...but since the epidural was in, the IV line needed to be kept in as well for antibiotics.  She also has a glowing thumb to monitor the oxygen in her blood.

I feel like I'm forgetting something.

Oh...Today they were supposed to pull the drainage tubes in her legs as well as rewrap them.  THEY didn't actually do the pulling on one of them.   

We had permission to load Jael and all her paraphernalia into a wagon and take her to the "Child Life" room (with toys, arts and crafts, video games, and more ).  Being a little stir crazy, little girl was all for it.

 




Eventually nature called to our little Jelly Bean.  As my husband unhooked her from all her gadgets.  Sarah and I took her to the restroom where one of her bandages AND DRAINAGE TUBES fell completely off.  The nurse came down to the wing we were at, checked things and brought us back to the room.


I couldn't believe the beauty and smoothness of her leg.  The surgeons did an amazing job.  I'm not sure what I expected, but NOTHING compared to this.  The stitches are toward the inside of the back of her leg.

Jael was a little quiet as she contemplated her leg...not depressed...just thoughtful.

The nurse, Courtney (who is AWESOME btw), wrapped her back up and the surgeon will take the second tube out tomorrow.

Tomorrow will be the "telling" day.  The final drainage tube in her leg will be taken out.  Her catheter WILL be removed and she will be switched to oral meds.  Her IV and all monitors will be removed as well.  Then they will watch her.

I'll leave you with a continued request for prayer for our little trooper and a picture that my husband just texted me. 


Our lives are beyond blessed.  I look at this little face and I see the glory of God.  His perfect creation, brought to stand up (very literally in a couple of months) for Him.

Thank you friends for praying.  May God bless you has he has blessed us with eight amazing blessings...including one Asian miracle.

"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9





2 comments:

  1. (((Love Unspeakable... And Full of Glory))) Jesus We Thank You For Your Enduring Mercy and Indescribable Love Toward Little Jael and Her Family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're praising the Lord with you and continuing to petition Him for His healing hand on your precious little one. {hugs}

    (And may I just say you are being such an encouragement to me as I watch you go through this and my heart simply aches. I can't imagine, as a mother, what this must be like!!!)

    ReplyDelete

In the joy of following our Heavenly Father, we sometimes choose to proceed with a whisper, a verse, or a downright shove...no matter how we follow Him, the momentum that follows is like nothing we've ever experienced before.

Join the momentum...it is a beautiful place to be. It's not always easy, but then the best things never are.

Related Posts with Thumbnails