Thursday, August 2, 2012

Mini Thoughts on Today and How We Can Help Someone Else

Gabe was circumcised today. Yup, I said it. I know both sides of the great circumcision debate, and totally get it.

When we arrived back from Ethiopia, you may remember, we were SOOO sick.   The cycling fevers landed Gabe in the hospital for three days and me rounds of tests.  Circumcision was just not the priority.

It was time for this poor little guy (seriously so cute).

You should see the sympathy he's getting around here!  He is EATING IT UP!  He has a new little Elmo phone from Mommy and Daddy and another special toy from Grandma.  He's been doling them out (sharing) and telling Rachel and Jael, "No trading".  The rule that they have to give them back when he asks helps.

Gabe's doctor is wonderful and actually we have experience with him, so there were no worries there.  It's the anesthesia that gets me.  Gabe is almost three and HAD to have something a little heavier, even for the 40 minute surgery that went perfectly.  Gabe was knocked out with a breathing tube.  THAT had me praying all the more.

I sat in the consultation room and realized how much it is going to hit me when Jael has her surgery.  It IS hitting me some, but we are busy enough that I cannot dwell (worry) on something that I can do nothing to make different.  I know God's got this, but had a realization today that I need to be working out...strengthening my spirit in God's Word even more.  We have a big road ahead, albeit VERY blessed.

Gabe's circumcision had me thinking about something else as well.

Medical expenses for the children coming home (from around the world) in dire straights, like little Amelia who is twelve years old and twelve pounds.

My husband and I have EXCELLENT insurance.  It covered 90% of the Pediatric Surgical Unit and almost 100% of the circumcision with the doctor,

BUT

we had to pay our $250 co pay to the doctor (paid $251.00 total to our doc)

AND

we had to pay about $435.00 to the hospital ($100 co pay and the 10% not covered).

The anesthesiologist will bill us.  We expect somewhere around $100.

To have Gabe circumcised, a minor surgery, we will have paid around $785.00

OUCH!

We had planned to have part of our house fixed...not until next year now.  That's ok though, our children take priority.  The money was there and we are thankful.  Somehow our Heavenly Father always has us in His Arms.

You can see how this has me thinking on the reality for the families of Katie (at 8 years old, who you should see now!) and Amelia though, can't you?

They are coming home with these amazing little blessings that had to fight for their lives daily.  They may have FANTASTIC insurance.  Even fantastic insurance only goes so far.  Even if we forget the deductibles and co pays, we need to think about the things the insurance only partially covers.  We need to remember the $75 formula a child may HAVE to have that is not covered.  We have to remember the $100's in gas they may have to pay running back and forth.  The mini little medical things, prescriptions, etc. that we don't think about.  Of course, rightly, they KNOW every penny is worth it.

PLEASE don't say, "Well, if they couldn't afford it, they shouldn't have adopted."  That phrase portrays three horrible ideals.
*A child is a commodity.
*That this child is not the family's child, but a statistic.
*That you believe this child should have died, because that is what happens when no one steps forward. (See "In Loving Memory" )

As Christians, when we have a little extra, it's a way we can help.  Right now there is a "Chip In" button for all the extra medical expenses Amelia's family will face.  It's such a special thing to be able to do.  It's an honor really.  This money will allow them to focus on their new blessings and not worry quite so much.  How often do we have a chance to help someone to take a deep breath and just focus on loving?

If you are able to help Amelia's family, please click the link below and realize what a beautiful opportunity it is. The "Chip In" is on the right top of the blog.

"Amelia's Rescue"

"Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world.  For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in,  I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’"  Matthew 25:34-36


 

1 comment:

  1. Amen!! We do not have good insurance, we pay $1,300.00 a month for it (I'm self employed) plus a $5,700.00 yearly decuctable! Should that stop us from adopting? Heck no!
    We were more than happy to help Amelia. We KNOW what this is like! We want to help! Praise God we can help!! :o)
    (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete

In the joy of following our Heavenly Father, we sometimes choose to proceed with a whisper, a verse, or a downright shove...no matter how we follow Him, the momentum that follows is like nothing we've ever experienced before.

Join the momentum...it is a beautiful place to be. It's not always easy, but then the best things never are.

Related Posts with Thumbnails