Monday, August 13, 2012

Got Some 'Splainin to Do

As I lay in bed this morning, I thought to myself, "If I had stumbled across THIS post in the past, I would have not REALLY read it.  I KNOW God is good."

I think I need to explain where I'm at.

You see, I get....wait for it....tired sometimes.  I know, shock, a mother of eight actually gets tired sometimes. 

Sadly, a certain evil one was having a field day in my mind.  You know, that tired "defenses are down" mind we all get occasionally?

For many years, at this point, my super mental ninja skills would be used in combat by telling myself the truth. 

It would go something like this.

Me-"I'm a failure.  My poor kids deserve better."
Super Ninja Me-"We are all human and fall short of the glory of God." (Romans 3:23 )

Don't get me wrong, this is GREAT!  We need to always use truth...God's truth. 

Here's what it took me FORTY years to discover though!!!  (Don't judge me! LOL)

When I use the truth to combat satan, satan still fights back.  He trades the truth for a lie (Romans 1:25).  When I'm tired, sometimes I'm too tired/down on myself to fight effectively and hold on to the truth of the Bible emotionally (logically, yes). 

I needed a move that drove the master of lies out of my head.  There had to be some super back flip, roundhouse that would smash these thoughts

(Sadly, I just heard a voice in my head saying "HULK SMASH!")

FINALLY, the other day I found out what it was.

(Now don't stop reading after I say the next word.)

Praise

Try it.

Next time you start thinking, "I'm fat. I'm ugly. I'm not worth it. I fail." or whatever is your arch nemesis thought, PRAISE.

Really, this is NOT insane.  Yes, I know this came from me.

For some reason the thoughts of "the snake" cannot exist with praise. 

I may have a hard time emotionally believing the truth applies for me while I'm tired or down (we're not always logical at that point), BUT I NEVER have a hard time believing God is good....that our God is powerful and mighty...that our God is merciful.

When we praise we remember that God's got this.  When we praise, we are reminded of God's power.  When we praise, we are giving ourselves totally to HIM, failure is not so important.  It makes it no longer about us.  It is a reminder of who wins.

It has done a world of good for MY attitude.  My thoughts are no longer focused in, BUT UP.

Seriously, I KNOW many of you learned this lesson a long time ago.  Try it if you haven't though...when you're tired and your defenses are down.  The lies of satan cannot exist with thoughts of praise.

So that's where I am friends. 

I thought I needed to explain a little.  I have this feeling that there is someone out there that really needs to know a certain combat reality called praise. 

Don't give up.   Don't get wrapped up in the thoughts of weariness.  It's time to get our super ninja skills and put them to the test.

Me-"I'm a failure, my kids deserve better."
Super Ninja Me-"God, You are so very good.  Your creation shines to the last atom...it reflects Your Majesty.  Thank you God.  Praise be Your name!!!!"

Who comes out the winner here? It's not satan.

"....and giving joyful thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of his holy people in the kingdom of light.  For he has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves,   in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins." Colossians 1:12-14

2 comments:

  1. Love it! I am trying to cement the truth of "It makes it no longer about us" in my life right now!
    Oh, the power of praise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was choking sobbing through an onslaught of condemnation, unworthiness and heartbreaking dissappointment. I actually said aloud," It's your world God, if you want the bad guys to win then it's your call. Only choice you give me is to trust you or not. I trust you but I don't get you!" I'm glad His mercy endures forever and that it's new everyday. Because the threat looms big in the doorway and I am now going to pick up my guitar and praise Him in the place where I mouthed off at Him earlier. Thanks my friend, you rescued me today. A rope in God's hand. I love you.

    ReplyDelete

In the joy of following our Heavenly Father, we sometimes choose to proceed with a whisper, a verse, or a downright shove...no matter how we follow Him, the momentum that follows is like nothing we've ever experienced before.

Join the momentum...it is a beautiful place to be. It's not always easy, but then the best things never are.

Related Posts with Thumbnails