Tuesday, July 10, 2012

God's Will Has Nothing to Do With....



Sometimes the enormity of the illness and conditions of God’s children weigh on me.  I sit down and read updates about precious little warriors on Caringbridge and it becomes overwhelming. 

I think of the moments these parents must face occasionally.  The moments of thinking, “I can’t do this.”

Yet they do this.  They go on.  They travel the path that is before them.  

With maturity we've learned it is because God...GOD sustains them.

I know I’ve faced those moments, and I haven’t been through an inkling of what many of these parents have.  When my children are facing pain, it “does me in” like no other.

I follow Eden on Caringbridge…and her struggle with a disease that has her deteriorating.

I follow Joey and his struggle with a cancer that leaves the doctors giving very little hope.  Yet God is bigger than this cancer.

I follow McKenzie, an infant provided with a new heart….as her mom learns to give dozens of medicines a day so that McKenzie’s little body doesn’t reject this gift.  I read of her hope, thankfulness, and exhaustion.

I follow Tatum and Lucy, little girls fighting a battle with the insidious cancer.

I read and I pray.

“No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted  beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, He will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.” I Corinthians 10:13

Some may ask, “Isn’t this verse about temptation?

I don’t know about you, but sometimes it is a temptation just to give up.  It is NOT an option, but can be a temptation. 

When I’m home schooling my three middle children for the first time (after a few weeks of break) and they forget the most basic concepts…

When an older child struggles with the awful things in this world…

When Jael jumps on the cat…

When Gabe throws himself on the floor in temper…

When I have to ask an older child to please do their work several times…

When the house goes from clean to trashed in 0.3 seconds (a Porsche has nothing on us)…

When tears come and the words, “It’s just too hard”…only because a blessing doesn’t want to make the effort…..

When Rach doesn’t want to stay on time out (in)…

When I’m sick and literally tired…

It’s those moments in time, though temporary, that can seem overwhelming.

But these parents face so much more.

How can these parents do it?

You see,  I feel like I just may be digging in my heals right now.  The thought of parenting our amazing eight and adding a VERY special needs little one…

There is just no way…

But….

GOD

The other day on Facebook my status (or at least part of it) said,

“GOD’S WILL HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH WHETHER WE FEEL WE CAN DO IT OR NOT.GOD'S WILL HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH WHETHER WE FEEL WE CAN DO IT OR NOTGOD'S WILL HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH WHETHER WE FEEL WE CAN DO IT OR NOT

Somewhere along the road we have begun to follow the line of thinking that….

We can only do God’s will if WE FEEL WE CAN DO IT.

There is also a general train of thought that God cannot create anything in us that was not there previously.  Seriously, that’s what we are saying when we say, “We can’t God.”

We are saying that God does not have the ability to make us more than we are.

Wow, ya…feeling like a worm crawling under some manure infested mud.

Who am I, who are WE to doubt God?!!!
There is only one whose job it is to get us to say “we can’t”.  That evil is one who I don’t want to follow.

I’m reminded of a little train from childhood, heading up a hill saying,

“I think I can.  I think I can. I think I can.”



Except I think we need to change the words a little bit.

“I know HE can.  I know HE can.  I  know HE can. “

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Post Script:  We really don’t 100% know where God is leading us as a family, but know God has had us praying for and has placed on our hearts children with more extreme special needs, often created by extreme neglect.  Please pray for our family to listen to God, above and beyond what WE feel we can do …and for God to lay the funds before us should HE call.

No comments:

Post a Comment

In the joy of following our Heavenly Father, we sometimes choose to proceed with a whisper, a verse, or a downright shove...no matter how we follow Him, the momentum that follows is like nothing we've ever experienced before.

Join the momentum...it is a beautiful place to be. It's not always easy, but then the best things never are.

Related Posts with Thumbnails