Friday, June 1, 2012

A New Holocaust~The World's Orphans

I don’t even know where to start.  Today has been a rough day.  Worldly cares have been crashing down.  Money we count on getting delayed for months.  My husband’s professional life is weighing on me.  Personal struggles are coming to the forefront.

 Yet, my mom texted me something that I needed to hear.  She texted, “Take heart….God is walking beside you.  When you have Him, you have everything.”

Not long after, my husband came home from work, so I took that opportunity to seek a little time alone.  When he peeked in the bedroom, I expected an "I love you honey".  Instead he said, "God bless you honey".

My heart knows God has blessed me.  Yet it’s still breaking.  You see, the reality is that all over the world something horrific is taking place.

 It’s a new holocaust. 

Disfigured, ignored, starving…children lay in cribs their WHOLE lives….little ones who are nine years old and only eleven pounds.  There is no exaggeration there.  Children who are teenagers and the size of babies exist just beyond our sight .

 They’re orphans.  Often they are special needs orphans. 
 
During the reign of Hitler, atrocities occurred that I cannot even fathom.  My uncle did…he was one of the first soldiers to enter Dachau.  To the day he left this earth he wouldn’t talk about the horrors he faced.

Yet many of these horrors are real. They are happening today.  Children are caged like animals lying in their own feces and urine.  Their mouths smell as putrid garbage from their teeth rotting. 

Food is poured into their mouths from beer bottles with nipples placed on top.  The edge of the nipple’s cut open to increase the flow.  Much doesn’t even make it into their stomachs, as the flow is too much to swallow.  They are given just enough food to live.  If anyone ever answers the call to parent them, their lives are again in the balance because of something called refeeding syndrome.  Their bodies don’t know how to process food anymore and their vital organs can shut down.

 Bodies don’t remember how to process food?!

 I wonder about those that survived the concentration camps and didn’t survive learning to eat again.  It breaks my heart and makes it ache.

 It all seems so far away with the struggles of our nation so imminent, but beyond these borders…

Many children, sweet children, with an extra chromosome are transferred to an institution before they’ve hit puberty…some before they’ve really emerged out of the toddler years.  One statistic shows that in Eastern Europe 80% die within the first year of being transferred…they DIE.

In a few of these orphanages donating funds may not do any good…if money is donated it may be misused.  The same goes for items donated.  They may find their way out of the orphanage and sold.

I remind myself that just as my mom stated today, God is with these children.  Yet God also leads us if we allow……and if we don’t listen, many of these children will not leave these concentration camps alive. 

This is one of the main reasons I am hurting right now.  I look at Reece’s Rainbow and these children, scared, not beautiful in the way the world often sees beauty…but beautiful none the less.  Their eyes sometimes reflect joy, being paid attention to for even a picture…. in a life filled with neglect. They sometimes seem hopeless and vacant, like they have hoped one too many times.   Some show signs of multiple healed fractures or breaks from the abuse.  A few of these blessing’s faces haunt me.  I long to have them in my arms and treasure them the way they deserve to be treasured.

Occasionally…occasionally I feel hurt…angry…when people expect us to say, “Nope, that’s it for us!  We are calling it quits.  Eight is enough! We’ve got to stop sometime!”

Is it ever right to limit God?

No

I’ve heard so many reasons for not giving the decision to God.

 *I couldn’t handle it.

*My house isn’t big enough.

*I can’t afford it.

*My children don’t like the idea.

*I’m happy with my life right now.

*I have as many children as I can handle.

*I give in other ways, so I’m sure God wouldn’t want that of me.

*I’m too old.

 When I hear these reasons I find myself wondering if there is ever a good reason not to give God a decision. 

The echoes of the children not even crying, but rocking or banging their heads in self comfort,  rings in my ears as I listen to these reasons.

I can hear the little one’s raspy breath as the words pour past lips as to why they don’t need to ask God.  The hopeless eyes fill my senses as death is the choice made for their lives.

 I hear them.

My husband said that when he visited Auschwitz in Germany, his whole body could feel the death, the tragedy, the inhumanity, the degradation and filth that occurred within those walls.  It physically hurt.

Without seeing inside those walls we must imagine.

Would we have been the brave soldiers, risking our lives marching against the atrocities of the war?  Would we have been the ones awarded purple hearts for being wounded in battle for valuing those we didn’t even know? 

It’s time for us to storm the walls of these institutions, to risk our comfort, to risk our all.

The bullets may be satan’s darts.  The wounds may be in our hearts……

But we are called to rise.  We are called to answer.  We are called to pray.

The walls of these institutions cannot stand against the strength of God.

"Jesus said, 'Let the little children come to Me and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.'" Matthew 19:14

2 comments:

  1. Tears are flowing! Thank you for preaching the truth! Karyn Purvis said at the ETC conference that these children are POW's - and yes, they are - our Governments would fight to get POW's out of their situations but we are allowing these POW's to sit and die.
    Thank you for posting this today as we are coming up on a big decision and you have encouraged me to stay the course and relay on God not myself! Thank you friend!
    And we soooo need to get together this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Proverbs 24:10-12 (New International Version)
    Page Options
    Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on email

    <<
    <
    =
    =
    >
    >>

    Show resources
    Add parallel
    Proverbs 24:10-12

    New International Version (NIV)
    Saying 25

    10 If you falter in a time of trouble,
    how small is your strength!
    11 Rescue those being led away to death;
    hold back those staggering toward slaughter.
    12 If you say, “But we knew nothing about this,”
    does not he who weighs the heart perceive it?
    Does not he who guards your life know it?
    Will he not repay everyone according to what they have done?

    ReplyDelete

In the joy of following our Heavenly Father, we sometimes choose to proceed with a whisper, a verse, or a downright shove...no matter how we follow Him, the momentum that follows is like nothing we've ever experienced before.

Join the momentum...it is a beautiful place to be. It's not always easy, but then the best things never are.

Related Posts with Thumbnails