Thursday, June 21, 2012

The Crushing Weight of Pedestals


I remember when I was young and all those around me seemed like spiritual giants. 

It took me awhile to see that humanity didn't discriminate against pillars of the Church. 

At 16, in the parking lot of our local congregation, I learned a hard lesson as I turned to my mom.  It was with anger (not tears) that I said, "They are such hypocrites!"

That's where my "schooling" began. 

She looked at me (with eyes much wiser than mine) and stated, "We're all hypocrites honey.  We all say one thing and do another."

That was a lesson that I have been pondering for the last couple weeks.

I'm not new to putting people on pedestals.  I used to do it all the time. 

I've been concerned as I've seen a shift away from seeking the Bible, to seeking man's wisdom. 

"Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Were you baptized into the name of Paul?" I Corinthians 1:13

Even in the early Church they struggled with this.

In a controversial discussion (with a group I was a member of) a woman stated, "I need to ask my Churches position on that, I just don't know."

That seems to be the movement of the current world in general.  Ask those leading instead of seeking the Bible ourselves.

What happens, at that point, is that we place an individual on a pedestal above God and His Word.

What can we then expect to happen? The only way to come off a pedestal is fall.

I know the crushing weight of those falling. 

I have no more than four very hard lessons I learned personally.  I remember the crushing blow of the first to fall.  The first person I thought could teach me about the Lord and I had put up in a place of honor.  Clouds surrounded his head.  He fell, he fell in a way I couldn't miss.

If my faith had been in him and what he had to say, my world would have shattered...my faith destroyed.   As it was, the fall off this man's pedestal was far.  I was barely able to avoid the crush.  

Our world will always be shattered when our faith is in man, instead of God.

WONDERFUL authors, speakers, musicians  are often thrust onto these towering columns.

Beth Moore, Francis Chan, Josh McDowell...these people can lead us to a greater understanding of God or the scriptures, BUT they are not the Scriptures.  They are not God.... and they are fallible.

I might thrive under their tutelage, but they do not replace a relationship with God.

My preacher, so wise and does not shy away from making the congregation uncomfortable (which I love).  He is not the ultimate authority.  Dare I say it?  I don't always agree with what he says.  He is human (though admittedly, much wiser than I).

Youth ministers can be the most amazing influence.  They can also be the greatest downfall.  I have seen many youth struggle through large portions of their life because of a choice a youth minister made.  Teens look up to them for guidance.  If we don't teach our children to look to God and compare ALL human words to God's Word, they may crash down with the falling icon.  (No pressure youth ministers...smile).

Pain, falling, humanity will happen in each of our lives.  There is no avoiding it.  Those we love (or ourselves even) are going to crash and burn.  It can be shocking, hurtful, downright painful....

BUT...when we can look them in the eye...when we don't have to look WAYYYY up on that pedestal...we can see they are human.  They are fallible.  They are just like us.  We can forgive.

Another way to look at it? When we don't forgive, we just may be putting ourselves on a little pedestal of our own.

"Every word of God is flawless; He is a shield to those who take refuge in Him." Proverbs 30:5

2 comments:

  1. Can I say I love your last update!!!! AMEN SISTER!!!!

    And another AMEN on this post because it is true. I am sooo over pedestals. I am so over the idol of other things- even adoption! I am over thinking I am perfect- HA- one look in the mirror will tell you otherwise!!!!!!! I am over thinking that everyone else has it together because everyone in real life- says otherwise all the time!!! If they are honest!!!!

    Praise God for GRACE!!!! NOT men. Our pastor is great! He always says he is preaching to himself too. He makes us all cringe as he instructs us about scripture, but he is NOT perfect. My faith is not in him or our church or any of the other members!

    We have to teach our children to look at scriptures as the ONLY SOURCE OF TRUTH!!!!!! I believe that is why so many youth and young people turn from God. They put their faith in a denomination...in a pastor....in a parent....in a relationship....and when it doesn't work out- they leave because WE ARE A BUNCH OF HYPOCRITES! It's true.

    At least until......we get to see HIS GLORIOUS FACE!!!! Oh I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

In the joy of following our Heavenly Father, we sometimes choose to proceed with a whisper, a verse, or a downright shove...no matter how we follow Him, the momentum that follows is like nothing we've ever experienced before.

Join the momentum...it is a beautiful place to be. It's not always easy, but then the best things never are.

Related Posts with Thumbnails