Friday, April 27, 2012

Compartmentalizing Our Faith (The Changing World~Post 1)


 Sometimes it’s difficult to stand up and speak truth. Truth can make me (and others) uncomfortable.

Somewhere, at the heart of me, I don’t like making others upset. I find that it takes a courage that can be alienating.

I’ve had to ask myself, when reading, am I uncomfortable because….

* This goes against what I believe? Why? Are my beliefs based on the Bible?
*Do my ideals need to change as this is Biblically founded? Growing and veils being lifted is not always a comfortable thing.

I've struggled, at times, when I write.  I don’t want to drive people away from Christ. We, as Christians, can sometimes bombard someone (that doesn’t know Christ) with judgment instead of God’s love.

I wonder why anyone would want to change if they don’t have the core reason to change…Christ.

Yet if all the Christians stop speaking truth…what would this world become?

I think Christ himself was the best example. When He dealt with sin, He did it in love. He drew people to Him with His ability to call things what they were (sin) while being so loving and forgiving and NOT letting others throw stones (verbal or otherwise).  He only showed anger, righteous anger, when necessary.

At dawn he appeared again in the temple courts, where all the people gathered around him, and he sat down to teach them. The teachers of the law and the Pharisees brought in a woman caught in adultery. They made her stand before the group and said to Jesus, ‘Teacher, this woman was caught in the act of adultery. In the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women. Now what do you say?’ They were using this question as a trap, in order to have a basis for accusing him.

But Jesus bent down and started to write on the ground with his finger. When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, ‘Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.’ Again he stooped down and wrote on the ground.

At this, those who heard began to go away one at a time, the older ones first, until only Jesus was left, with the woman still standing there. Jesus straightened up and asked her, ‘Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?’

‘No one, sir,’ she said.

‘Then neither do I condemn you,” Jesus declared.“Go now and leave your life of sin.’” John 8:2-11

As Christians we have to speak. We have to speak with Biblical truth. We NEED to speak with love and forgiveness.

For three years now, I’ve had a post floating around in my head. It’s not popular thought. A matter a fact, I know the series I feel a drawing to write about could make others uncomfortable. I truly hope not, but it hasn’t gone away for three years. I think it’s time.

Compartmentalizing Our Faith (The Changing World~Post 1)

I think we’ve all done it at some time or other. We cut our life up like a giant pie, separating part of our lives from God. We have held our hands out with pieces of our lives saying, “No God, this has nothing to do with you.”

Dating? Numbering our children? Who we marry? Modesty? Decisions?

Yes, but those are not what set this post in motion.

It was when I heard a fellow Christian say that their faith didn’t have anything to do with who they voted for. The economy, unemployment, etcetera had nothing to do with God.

Picture me walking down the street, stopping, turning around and my jaw hitting the floor. That is how that statement hit me.

That is how I react when ANYONE makes the statement, “That has nothing to do with God or my faith.”

Because friends, I don’t remember the Bible saying any such thing.

Think of it this way, you bring someone a cake for their birthday. It’s beautifully decorated from a high end bakery. This person is the center of your life. You spent your last precious cent on it. Yet, before you give it to them you cut out a small, medium, or very large piece.

As you present it, you open the gold ribbon wrapped box. There is this stunning cake with one piece missing. To me, that is how it must be to God. We want to give Him everything, but we hold back a precious piece…a delicious morsel.

“Sorry, this piece belongs to me, but you can have the rest.”

When Christ says,“Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.”  (Matthew 22:37) I think we need to remember what it’s like being truly in love (in the way this verse talks about).

It’s all consuming. Your every moment, your every breath, is taken up by this love. There’s not a part of you that you want to hold back. You want to give your cherished love everything.

That’s the kind of love that doesn’t save a piece of cake for yourself.

Compartmentalizing our faith only hurts us and distances ourselves from God. Our all-encompassing love cannot hold anything back.

1 comment:

  1. What a great illustration- totally using that for me....just sayin'

    I LOVE IT! Why, because I think that very statement is a copout so many Christians use. The founders of our country did not actually SEPARATE church and state to protect the state!!! It was meant to protect the CHURCH!!!!

    ReplyDelete

In the joy of following our Heavenly Father, we sometimes choose to proceed with a whisper, a verse, or a downright shove...no matter how we follow Him, the momentum that follows is like nothing we've ever experienced before.

Join the momentum...it is a beautiful place to be. It's not always easy, but then the best things never are.

Related Posts with Thumbnails