Monday, March 19, 2012

The Rescued (Adoption)

Some families may adopt because they know the extent of the orphan crisis around the world.
Some may adopt because they are filling a void in their family.
Some because they are answering to a command from the scriptures...
Some may follow the path to adoption because God has led them to their child (though that, to a degree, is in all of these).
Finally, some may feel the severity of the situation out there and be on a rescue mission….
None of these reasons are wrong, though we need to be cautious that in rescue, a child doesn’t feel like a charity case.

No matter what led us to this journey, most adoptive parents out there have had comments that have us contemplating how to answer.

Though I’ve
written on it before, most of us (at some point) have received this comment.

“It’s so great that you’re doing this! Your children are so blessed! What good people you are!”
I really believe this is meant in love.

Yes, we do have a truthful and pat answer.

“No, we are the ones who are blessed. We pray we bless them as much as they bless us.”
Yet a thought occurred to me the other day. I am not the rescuer, but the rescued.
Not only (most importantly) through Christ and our adoption as sons and daughters of God are we rescued ( John 3:16, Romans 8:22-23)….

Not only are we grafted in to a new family through Christ (Romans 11:17-24)….

But, on a more minor note…these children rescue us…

When Jael reached up the other afternoon and ran her little hand across my face saying, “Wah Eye Nee” (I love you) she rescued me from a life without her touch…from a life that wasn’t quite full.
When Max challenges me to get creative in my parenting, he has rescued me from a life inside the box. He has rescued me from a life that had me in a little world and made it so much bigger.


When Bekah lays down beside me and says, “Mommy, can I do anything for you?” she has rescued me from a life where I didn’t know the genuine hearts of children.

When I ask Gabe what he’s doing and he glances over his shoulder with a gleam and a guilty smile, he rescues me from a day that I might not have chuckled behind my hand or held in the bubbling laughter.

When Rachel tilts her head to the side and purses her lips in I am immediately rescued from the absence of a life overflowing…to the brim with love and laughter.

I am rescued, day in and day out by my children…all eight of them…adopted and biological.

Each and every child on this earth is born a blessing, whether they can ever breathe on their own, hear, walk, or talk….whether they have an extra chromosome, are bedridden, or riddled with a disease. They are a blessing.

We are being rescued by our children….rescued from a life without them.

I have a suggestion.
Next time you see an adoptive family,
Next time you meet a family changed forever by adoption….walk up to them and say, “Wow, you are so blessed!”

Give them a chance to say, “Why yes…I really am.”
"Jesus said, 'Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.'” Matthew 19:14


2 comments:

  1. Beautiful!! Yes, I agree - my children have rescued me in so many ways!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE!
    I love this post so much it brought tears to my eyes.
    I love it so much I had to scroll back up and read it again.

    (Incidentally, your Gabe sounds like my Tyrell--oh, the orneriness that spills from his eyes! He just makes me laugh all the time!)

    ReplyDelete

In the joy of following our Heavenly Father, we sometimes choose to proceed with a whisper, a verse, or a downright shove...no matter how we follow Him, the momentum that follows is like nothing we've ever experienced before.

Join the momentum...it is a beautiful place to be. It's not always easy, but then the best things never are.

Related Posts with Thumbnails