Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Please pray….and Our Time Here 12/27/11

Though this day is tinted with worry of AoJing, it was also a day I was greatly blessed. Happy Anniversary sweetheart. I am privileged to know and be married to you.

There’s more though.

Today was also the day Jael, by Chinese standards, would legally become our daughter and that Thomas would meet Jael (via Skype) for the first time.

We rose early to go to breakfast and Skype home. Jael doesn’t eat many things, but eats well. She loves fruit, veggies, and hard low sugar cookies that your find commonly around here…but not much else. That’s a battle we aren’t going to pick right now.

On the way upstairs we met another adoptive family heading to the elevator. They looked tired…weary. It is often such a battle for our little ones. Their daughter looked to be about eight. She was mourning and they were having to fight to get her anywhere. The parents said, “Look at that little girl, she’s not crying”. Truthfully, I understood the weariness, but I understood even more the mourning. The little girl had lost her foster family. The only family she had ever known. I think I’d have been kicking, screaming, and so much more if someone took me away from my family of eight years…sigh. It’s trauma no matter how we look at it. Often, we parents take on some of that trauma ourselves while we help our children to heal. It’s not always pretty, but the battle is always worth it.

When we got to the room we sat down to Skype and, as usual, found such peace in seeing our family. Jael pointed at the screen and said “Baba” when Thomas came on. She calls me “Mama”, but we do believe at this point, though God has prepared her, she views us as her caretakers and “safe”…which is a wonderful place to start.

She met her brothers, sisters, and Uncle at home as well. Thomas is in love. I have to say that daddy meeting his children for the first time is one of my FAVORITE things ever. It’s a time I always cherish.





















We headed off to appointments. I didn’t realize that her nanny and orphanage director would be at the first appointment. I knew we may be in for another bout of heartbreak, but knew it was necessary.

When Jael saw her nanny she smiled and waved, but clung to my arms. She didn’t want her. She wanted me. This in itself was such a huge step. God had chosen her as our daughter. It was now her choosing us…awesome!




We exchanged gifts and now it was off to the next appointment.

At this next interview a question was asked. She asked if we were “satisfied” with our daughter. My answer was, “Oh Yes!”

My thought was this…
“A child is not to be satisfied with or not satisfied with. Our child is our child. If God had to be satisfied with my behavior all the time, I would be in trouble. My bad behavior doesn’t make me any less HIS child. Jael is our daughter and NOTHING can change that. Though she has been sweet and loving, it is the blood of our Savior, not blood that runs through human veins, that makes us family…forever.”

Yep, my thoughts ran on a little longer than my actual words. I know it’s part of the ceremony/tradition…yet (in case anyone doubts) this is our daughter….our grafted in, fully beating as a part of us, daughter
.

On the way home we swung by Wal-Mart. Yes, even here….


We really just went to get necessities…orange juice, water, chicken feet (ok, maybe not).

It was so different. It is the same contrast that we witnessed in Russia. Such ancient beauty, modernism, and something that’s hard to put a finger on. They had computers, and modern conveniences, but wrote up and added most by hand.

There are mopeds/scooters (and traffic) everywhere, yet often you see hand woven cages tied to the back to hold chickens (thinking of you Amber...laughing). We're thinking the police officer in the picture below needs to get hazard pay.



This is a five star hotel and the lobby is stunning. Huge restaurants and shops fill it, yet the rooms are not as comparable to the Holiday Inn.








These are in no way criticisms, just me trying to get a pulse and understand.

The people here are so kind. Their laughter genuine (and let me tell you, we probably deserve to be laughed at…smile). Yet everyone seems rushed and often worried about perfection. Sometimes they can seem like they really don’t like you with their brisk manner. It was hard feeling that, but I have found that I don’t believe it’s dislike (I choose to believe that), but cultural.

It’s crowded and bumps are the norm.

The traffic is much like Russia and Ethiopia (minus the goats and donkeys). You find yourself closing your eyes occasionally. I think I’ve become more immune….didn’t even flinch…lol. People do not have the right away here and I must say that makes me nervous.

The pollution is high. We cannot see the blue sky at all. We think that is contributing to our illness most likely.
We love seeing Mandarin on all the buildings. It’s like art. I wish I could reproduce the beauty.

We found that superstition still has a hold here. Jael’s little string and stone necklace was a necklace to protect her…safety. We will treasure and keep it, but snipped it off tonight. God has our daughter safer than any necklace does.

This is a pulse hard to understand, but we are trying. We want to share truth and beauty with our daughter as she grows.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, such a time of transition for you all! One moment at a time, we are praying you through and looking forward to the comfort and bonding the Lord will bring.

    ReplyDelete

In the joy of following our Heavenly Father, we sometimes choose to proceed with a whisper, a verse, or a downright shove...no matter how we follow Him, the momentum that follows is like nothing we've ever experienced before.

Join the momentum...it is a beautiful place to be. It's not always easy, but then the best things never are.

Related Posts with Thumbnails