Sunday, November 13, 2011

God's Voice is Like No Other

There are times when I hear God in a blazing whisper in the middle of night. He presses on me knowledge that is a gift. He has touched me in the daytime with my heart beating a million miles an hour...writing on my heart words that never crossed my thoughts....my body racked with exhaustion as the pressing fades. These are all gifts, but let me tell you....sometimes it's scary.

People have asked me, "How do you know when God has spoken?" For at least a time you 100% know. There is no doubt. God's voice is like no other.

We absolutely know that God will not contradict His word. Wise counsel will encourage you as time passes...but...His voice is ONLY His.

But...lame ol' me, after time passes and I've shared what God has pressed on me...my courage fades inside me. I fear.

I think, "What if I've heard wrong? How could God be speaking to me? Doesn't He know that I can be easily angered at times? Doesn't He know that I feel like hiding and occasionally, when my husband gets home, I do just that? Doesn't he know how weak I feel and sometimes overwhelmed?"

After listening to our preacher today, I've realized that some of my feelings are about self worth...or lack of it. They are about the fact that it is a lot easier to love someone else than ourselves.

Mark 12:30-31 says,
"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor AS YOURSELF.’There is no commandment greater than these.”

Did you catch that? To love others, we need to love ourselves.

What does that have to do with listening to God, acting, and believing He could use us?

Everything....

God has given us worth. He has given us HIS SON to die for us.

We cannot read the Bible...David, Jonah, Peter....and stand in arrogance saying that God cannot use us. We cannot say these great men of God did not fall short. We cannot have the gall to say that Jesus' grace is just not quite big enough to forgive us or use us.

I love Gideon's response (in Judges 6:14-16) when God called him to lead. Listen carefully to what God says.

The LORD turned to him and said, “Go in the strength you have and save Israel out of Midian’s hand. Am I not sending you?”

“But Lord,” Gideon asked, “how can I save Israel? My clan is the weakest in Manasseh, and I am the least in my family.”

The LORD answered, “I will be with you, and you will strike down all the Midianites together.”

Loving ourselves and realizing God values us is one of the first steps, but the next step is the MOST important.

"I will be with you..."

It's that simple. It's not us doing it, but God. The message is not ours, doesn't require understanding, IT IS GOD'S.

It is NOT about our human weakness or doubt.
It IS about that one moment in time that we knew...100% that God had spoken and that God IS using us...IS blessing us with HIS voice.

I needed that message today. You see I've been sitting here fearful saying,"Are you sure God? I've told all these people that you called me to pray that Jael is in my arms by the end of our year. I'm scared. What if I'm wrong? Will my testimony be hurt?"

Scared? Yes, I am...scared of my weakness and fallibility, not Gods.

Yet I remember the moment God spoke. I was brought to my knees. I was pressed. At the same time a dear friend, not there with me, felt the same pressing. I was at 100%

Yet time passed...

God moved paperwork crazy quick and one paper was done the day BEFORE everything was together so it could be done.

Yet time passed...

God gave my husband and I the same message to pray for one of our children and when I texted him at work asking him to pray specifically, he already had.

Yet time passed...

And three different times satan tried to intervene in obscure and never before (for us at least) ways as we were sharing information about the pressing of God.

Yet time passed...

And God gave a friend's mother a scripture to share with me and five minutes after I received the message, my 10 year old shared with me the same story.

Yet time passed...

Today, our preacher shared a word that I needed to hear. A word that I needed to press on and hold on to what I know...and it's scaring me to death...but press on I will.

We have to. We have to hold on to the moment of clarity. We have to remember when God spoke.

I've often thought about the Israelites and just have not understood. How could they see God each day so evidently and still turn away or still doubt?

Now I get it...we have short memories unless we take our doubts captive...unless we choose to hold on to the absolute presence of God while living in this human world.

"...and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ." II Corinthians 10:5b

God cannot be limited by our weaknesses.

God cannot be stopped by our stupidity (yep, it's true, at times we are).

God's will cannot be undone.

His voice doesn't disappear with time...only our memory of it does.

We must step forward with courage and speak the truth. It doesn't have to make sense to us. It doesn't have to be "doable" or "attainable" by ANY human or government standard.

God is not the world. God does not work by the world's rules. God doesn't say comfort is the first priority. God is bigger than that.

God IS bigger than that.

We must put aside our weakness and trust Him.

"His wisdom is profound, his power is vast.
Who has resisted him and come out unscathed?
He moves mountains without their knowing it
and overturns them in his anger.
He shakes the earth from its place
and makes its pillars tremble.
He speaks to the sun and it does not shine;
he seals off the light of the stars.
He alone stretches out the heavens
and treads on the waves of the sea.
He is the Maker of the Bear and Orion,
the Pleiades and the constellations of the south.
He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed,
miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:4-10


3 comments:

  1. Oh, this was very much what I needed to read right now in the midst of knowing that God has spoken, but that the time isn't yet for the fulfillment. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have totally preached to me today!! This is my FAVORITE verse about Gideon..one God KEEPS using to confirm his plan for us..THANK YOU! And thank you for your message on FB today....I SO needed someone to say those words:)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, wow!! You have no idea how amazing this post is--for multiple people and situations!!! I, too, struggle with remembering what God has done and what He will do. Why do we do that??!! {hugs}

    I just love the story He is granting you and Jael along this journey! You may feel your faith falter, but I am built up BY your faith, my friend.

    ReplyDelete

In the joy of following our Heavenly Father, we sometimes choose to proceed with a whisper, a verse, or a downright shove...no matter how we follow Him, the momentum that follows is like nothing we've ever experienced before.

Join the momentum...it is a beautiful place to be. It's not always easy, but then the best things never are.

Related Posts with Thumbnails