Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Any and All Things Home School~Part One~Why?


It's that time again. It's my mad rush to be prepared to teach 11th, 10th, 5th, 3rd grade, Kindergarten, and two year old pre-school.

You want to see multiple personalities?

Easy, peasy, one two threesy

Many have asked me about home school lately and since I've had a little bit of a writer's block. No, that's not it. It's more like my brain has refused to work in any kind of cohesive manner. I haven't posted on home school.... or just about anything.

Tonight I've decided not to worry about the lack of cohesive thought though (who knows if it will ever come back...giggle) and I've have decided to attempt a series of posts on home school. I'm not promising anything will...
...make sense.
...be funny.
...be informative.
...be instructive.
...make sense.

Did I say make sense? I just wanted to make sure I got that in there?

If your interested in home school or just want to find out how we got here, this may be the series for you. Not promising anything (smile).

I thought I'd start at the very beginning. It's a long time ago (ok, only four years) in a place not so far away.

(cue dramatic music, fade in)

For years I thought home schoolers were nuts. I really did. How could a child be socialized. How would they learn to deal with the real world?

As the years went on, I began to admire home schoolers. After meeting several centered, realistic, and mature home schooled kids (people don't even refer to me that way), I began to admit that these mom's MUST be amazing. They must be dusting off their super man cape daily. They were doing something right.

Something that I could NOT do. Something that I would NOT do. It was beyond me.

This was our reality.

Thomas and I had always known we wanted our children surrounded by Biblical teaching. We promised each other we would do what was necessary to keep our kids in a Christian school.

I was the mom who volunteered for everything. I was the room mom. I went on every field trip. I organized. I was the Outreach Coordinator. No one could say I slacked at the mommy job.

Little ones in toe, I was always there.

Unfortunately always being there didn't solve a bullying problem. Either did handling it in the correct way (up the ladder of authority).

It didn't solve the bullying problem for our child OR for the boys who were bullying our son (and others).

Finally, mid way through the sixth grade year we said we couldn't do it anymore. We wouldn't subject our son to this with seemingly no resolution. The bullying was changing him. We had exhausted every avenue and did everything we could to teach our child not to give up.

(side note: Two months after we left these boys were expelled)

We searched the area and finally settled on a local Christian University Model School (school Monday/Wednesday/Friday and home school Tuesday/Thursday). We moved our child mid year and then moved all our children the beginning of the next school year.

Then a year and a half later, things changed.

I bet you can guess this one.

Did you guess the green phantom? That's what we call money around here. It was getting hard to afford all the classes for our ever growing family. At that point Tom, Sarah, Anna, and Max (pre-school) were all attending.

The summer after my daughter Anna finished 1st grade my husband found me sitting in the middle of our play area with forms scattered around me...crying. I just couldn't figure out how to do it financially. I was weary of struggling to try to make our budget work with four children in private school (and at that time paying off an adoption loan to bring our sweet Bekah home).

Yet I was convicted that we HAD to marinate them in God's love. Life was about God, not school.

My husband amazed me at that point (and not for doing the Cabbage Patch or dancing on the side of the road). He said, "Honey...have you ever thought of home school?"

Now if we hadn't gone down the road we had I would have looked at him like he was stark raving mad (like I usually do in other words...love you honey!). God had been making changes in me though. He had shown me just a smidge of what home school was like. He had planted a seed in me that just maybe I could do this.

Year one I taught Anna (second grade) and Max (Kindergarten). Bekah was just itty bitty then and her learning was more along the walking and talking line (important stuff).

Year two I branched out. I taught (drum roll) SEVENTH GRADE (Sarah)......and NINTH GRADE (Tom) as well.

What started with a financial issue, ended with God's leading and blessings we couldn't have imagined.

How did our kids react?

The younger kids were excited.

Anna, who started home school in second grade, would come home many afternoons, after being away at school all day, crying because she was so tired. She still needs a little more quiet at times.

Our teens were reticent and somewhat fearful.

Where would they make friends? Would they be couped up in the house all day with MOM (lol)?!

All I'm going to say...right now...is that they now say that they would never go back. You couldn't pay them to go back. They, and this is the best promotion ever, (as teenagers) say that home school is the best thing that could've ever happened in regards to school.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We believe God can lead families in so many different ways in regards to schooling. As long as we are open and don't limit God, great things happen.

(To be continued...)


4 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for this series, Kat. And you don't seem to have 'writers block' (whatever on earth that IS) to me. (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing the journey God takes us on! I am amazed at home school families - I didn't do a very good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun story, looking forward to part two! :) Did you see this post? http://heartofthematteronline.com/being-a-homeschool-mom/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+heartofthematteronline%2FYoZh+%28Heart+of+the+Matter%29&utm_content=FaceBook I thought it was good too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need you to "continue"...and remind me why I'm doing this(and what curriculum you use for older kids;))! We're hoemschooling two in public "online school" from home and it is sheer TORTURE!!! I have NO time for the younger ones!! AAAAAAHHHHH! Sorry....moment of insanity...

    ReplyDelete

In the joy of following our Heavenly Father, we sometimes choose to proceed with a whisper, a verse, or a downright shove...no matter how we follow Him, the momentum that follows is like nothing we've ever experienced before.

Join the momentum...it is a beautiful place to be. It's not always easy, but then the best things never are.

Related Posts with Thumbnails