Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Covering the Cross? (A Venture into the World Climate)


As I sit here at my computer, I open up to Nehemiah 4:4-5

"Hear, O our God, For we are despised; turn back their taunt upon their own heads, and give them up to be plundered in a land where they are captives. Do not cover their guilt, and let not their sin be blotted out from Thy sight; for they have provoked Thee to anger before the builders."

This subject has been coming up over and over lately.

It's a hard subject to digest, but one that needs to be faced.

Has God removed the blessing on this country? Have we, as well as other nations, provoked God's anger in our denial of His truth, of Him?

I don't know the answer, but I wonder. It feels like something is happening in our nation. It feels like the world climate is changing.

Natural disasters have always happened. The media brings about more knowledge of the devastation that is taking place.

The frequency that these events are occurring seems to be accelerating though. The frequency of those in power ignoring the consensus of the people is being sped to fruition.

Unfortunately, most importantly, so is the denial of God and the denial of His Son. As a nation, I could not have fathomed the extent of the denial of Christ.

It's hard to hear the words and see the actions of denial. It hurts.

Our nation has never attained perfection, but the path it's on...honestly...scares me.

We seem, as a nation, to be compartmentalizing our relationship with God. He stays at home or at Church, but not in our job, in our voting, in our conversations.

Yes, I'm generalizing, but here's where it gets harder. We have chosen a leader that made the statement that had to be the most offensive to God that I can fathom. Granted, I'm limited in what I can fathom.

He stated that Christ is not the only way to God. He said this, the world heard it, and yet many voted him into office thereby compartmentalizing their...our faith.

I am not saying I'm any better. I have lain here with my face on the desk, begging for mercy.

What I'm saying is that it scares me what we've done.

Is it beyond our mentality to think that God could be angry at a nation? Is there somewhere in the Bible that says He can't discipline? Are we beyond deserving it?

Yes, Christians have suffered and will. We are not beyond suffering. Consequences of our and other's sins DO overflow. We just have the ability to glorify Him through it...to honor Him. The trials are, in a way, Him trusting us to show the world a different way. A spot light has been given, whether wanted or not, it's what we do in the spot light.

God is our Creator. He has deemed us worthy of love. I don't always understand why, but He has.

We have ignored His absolutes. We have put aside His leading. We have covered the cross, saying it's a landmark, instead of the only bridge to salvation.

God has a right to be angry.

1 comment:

  1. So the saving grace about the acceleration of wars, disasters, famine and even rumors of war is found in Jesus' simple words, "Fear not, for I am with you." It seems true that the world is getting worse and worse all the time. And yet, we His people are not to be fearful in the face of such acceleration. Praise God. Praise God!

    ReplyDelete

In the joy of following our Heavenly Father, we sometimes choose to proceed with a whisper, a verse, or a downright shove...no matter how we follow Him, the momentum that follows is like nothing we've ever experienced before.

Join the momentum...it is a beautiful place to be. It's not always easy, but then the best things never are.

Related Posts with Thumbnails