Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Why We Celebrate Christmas-Quote of the Day


We know and understand why some have chosen not to celebrate the traditional Christmas celebration of December 25th. Right now, on one of my Yahoo Groups, this discussion is going on.

Though we insure our focus is Christ and it probably isn't 100% traditional (big surprise...hee hee), sometimes my words fail me (my husband will be laughing now).

Yet, A quote that one of my friends (Thanks Christina!) posted was a better and more apt description of why we personally celebrate Christmas in December, than anything I myself could write.

"The Church does not superstitiously observe days, merely as days, but as
memorials of important facts. Christmas might be kept as well upon one
day of the year as another; but there should be a stated day for
commemorating the birth of our Saviour, because there is danger that
what may be done on any day, will be neglected." ~Samuel Johnson

3 comments:

  1. And you didn't post this cool quote at your "group discussing Christmas celebration" because???????????? LOL!!! (((HUG))) You left me dangling with "my" humble opinion, you should have posted this quote!! LOL!! Kat,seriously the group needs to hear this! O.K. I'm not trying to tell you what to do. This is not meant mean spirited at all! It's just that so few people share an opinion in that group. Is it fear?? Because the group's moderator has excellent rules of etiquette for those who don't share the same beliefs even in our group.
    And I guess I'm just frustrated because I post to start discussion and no one says a word TO me. I often "feel" like the not so good COC wife/mother/woman because my husband isn't a preacher- heck he isn't even a Christian. And I have adult children with 10' Christmas trees in their living room who aren't Christians. Yes, that's my "real" family! :o) Why can't the group just get down and dirty and support Christian women like me!! LOL!! O.K. I've directed all of this at you because you spoke out here AND you've been in the group longer than I!! I love you dearly Sweetie and please take nothing I've said as criticism- it is not meant that way at all!! I'm not trying to dump on you........sorry.......like I said, I'm frustrated with the groups responses. After all Maisha asked at the group!! :o)
    We started using Advent readings and songs this year.(catholic??) We love them, we are going to use them all year long. I love the quote! I guess I'd like to use a starting date for our celebration that isn't so commercial! Thank You for sharing the quote! TOTALLY makes sense!! Go ahead and trim this comment to your liking! Here's my e-mail so I don't go on and on in your comment section! LOL!! I love you! E
    tarcher30-at-charter dot net

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops were you talking about a group different than COChomeschoolers?

    ReplyDelete
  3. ROTFL....I came in on the end of the discussion (had missed a ton of emails when sick...I try to blog, but sometimes the digest emails go by the wayside). I LOVE the group and didn't want to stir up anything if the other was the resounding opinion. I really do understand both sides. I will post it though! :)

    ReplyDelete

In the joy of following our Heavenly Father, we sometimes choose to proceed with a whisper, a verse, or a downright shove...no matter how we follow Him, the momentum that follows is like nothing we've ever experienced before.

Join the momentum...it is a beautiful place to be. It's not always easy, but then the best things never are.

Related Posts with Thumbnails