Friday, December 24, 2010

Twas the Night Before Christmas (In Reality)

Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house
only snoring was heard, from the littlest mouse.

The stockings were hung by the chimney with dreams,
In hopes that daddy and mommy would fill them (it seems).



The children were nestled all snug in their beds,
While visions of the nativity swam through their heads.
And mamma in her t-shirt, and I in my shorts,
Had just settled down for a sweet nap of sorts.

When out in the living room arose such a clatter,
I sprang from the bed to see what was the matter.
Away to the room I flew like a tornado,
Tore open the door and tripped on Bob the Tomato.

The light on the breast of the new shredded paper,
Gave the lustre of sunshine to the obvious caper.
When, what to my wondering eyes should appear,
But a guilty looking cat, not shedding a tear.



With a little orange tail, the shape of a puff ball,
I knew in a moment Sienna must take the fall.
More rapid than eagles his coursers they came,
And he meowed, and purred, called the guilty by name!



"Now Brrreow! now, Sadie! now, MiK and Blackie!
On, Arwen! On, Tundra! on, on Abby and Obie!
To under the couch! to the top of the shelves!
Run for your lives! Dash away! Dash away naughty elves!"




As dry leaves that before the wild hurricane fly,
When they meet with an obstacle, mount to the sky.
So up to the shelves the coursers they flew,
With paper stuck to their claws, and tape stuck there too.

And then, in a twinkling, I heard from the beds
The yawning and groaning of each little head.


As I opened my mouth, and was turning around,
On my back Sienna came with a bound.


He was dressed all in fur, from his head to his foot,
And his fur was all tarnished with ashes and soot.
A bundle of gerbils he had flung on his back,
And he tried to look innocent, opening his mouth with a smack.

His eyes-how they twinkled! his dimples how merry!
His cheeks were like feathers, his nose a wet cherry!
His droll little mouth was drawn up like a bow,
And the beard of his chin was as orange and glowed.

The stump of a tail he held tight in his teeth,
And the attempted halo encircled his head like a wreath.
He had a broad face and a little round belly,
That shook when he laughed, like a bowlful of jelly!



He was chubby and plump, a right jolly old elf,
And I laughed when I saw him, in spite of myself!
A wink of his eye and a twist of his head,
Soon gave me to know I had nothing to dread.

He spoke not a word, but went straight to his work,
And sharpened his nails on the stocking, then turned with a jerk.
And laying his claw aside of his nose,
And giving a nod, up the curtains he rose!

He sprang to his top, to his team gave a whistle,
And away they all flew like the down of a thistle.
But I heard him exclaim, ‘ere he drove out of sight,
"I think we're in trouble, there's no catnip tonight."

No comments:

Post a Comment

In the joy of following our Heavenly Father, we sometimes choose to proceed with a whisper, a verse, or a downright shove...no matter how we follow Him, the momentum that follows is like nothing we've ever experienced before.

Join the momentum...it is a beautiful place to be. It's not always easy, but then the best things never are.

Related Posts with Thumbnails