Wednesday, November 3, 2010

On the Solid Rock I Stand-Adoption

It's National Adoption Month. What does this mean though? Is it just adoption awareness? Is it helping the orphans of this world? I choose to think it goes beyond that.

God has given us such a great command.
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world." James 1:27
The Merriam Webster dictionary defines "Orphan" as...
1: a child deprived by death of one or usually both parents
2: a young animal that has lost its mother
3: one deprived of some protection or advantage

Who is the orphan then? Is it the child that has no parents? The child that is abandoned? Or is the the life that is all alone in this world, with no one to care?

If we go with "all of the above" as the definition, the scope of what we need to be doing expands so greatly. The word "orphan" would include those dropped off in nursing homes and left, those individuals that have run from abuse, the hurting...broken...alone, of this world.

For "Adoption Awareness Month" I will be sharing some things I never had before, I will be directing you to posts/videos of other wonderful adoptive parents, and I will be sharing our own (and hopefully the twins) adoption stories again.

Yet, I feel this first post needs to be more of a foundation, a foundation for life. You see, in our passion for orphans I often will share the fire God gave me. Yet, I need to be going beyond that. I need to be sharing God.

Why does my heart ignite? Jesus Christ died for me.

Why do I want to climb to the highest mountain and yell for someone to listen to the cries of the fatherless? Because God loves me that much.

In building the foundation of my life...

In building the framework on which my life rests...

In placing brick upon brick of passion for the orphans of this world....

I must build on something unshakable that trumps any other passion. This passion is God. This passion is teaching others about HIS love, HIS life, HIS death, HIS resurrection. This passion precludes ANY other.

The reason I harbor such love for the orphans of this world is because I would be an orphan if God hadn't adopted me into his family. I had a mom and dad, but I would have been alone in a way that exceeds physical aloneness.

You see...
My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus’ blood and righteousness;
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly lean on Jesus’ name.

On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand;
All other ground is sinking sand,
All other ground is sinking sand.


2 comments:

  1. You always make me smile! Preach on Sister:)!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Outstanding post!!! I love the way you bring it back to the basic foundation. Makes me think of a post I recently read about making adoption an idol--that post was oh, so sobering! Do you read Courtney? Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete

In the joy of following our Heavenly Father, we sometimes choose to proceed with a whisper, a verse, or a downright shove...no matter how we follow Him, the momentum that follows is like nothing we've ever experienced before.

Join the momentum...it is a beautiful place to be. It's not always easy, but then the best things never are.

Related Posts with Thumbnails