Sunday, November 7, 2010

Sirens and Drama-Orphan Sunday


Blood

Sirens

Drama

As traffic slows and you see lights on the top of emergency vehicles, one of three things happen.

One, you drive slowly by to protect the police and know you would stop if, for some crazy reason, you were needed. You pray for those affected.

Two, you slow down your vehicle to see what has happened, out of very human curiosity.

Three, you've seen enough tragedy and you drive by as quickly as possible, hoping to push it from your mind.

Unfortunately, we daily drive by the wrecks. We daily drive by those who are lost and hurting. We daily drive by those caught up in the drama of daily life as an orphan.

Today is called "Orphan Sunday" around the United States.

"For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God. The Spirit you received does not make you slaves, so that you live in fear again; rather, the Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship. And by him we cry, 'Abba,Father.' The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children." Romans 8:14-16

We are surrounded by orphans...those that don't know our Heavenly Father. It goes beyond the fatherless that we acknowledge as orphans, to being completely alone in this world in a greater scope of the word "alone".

Can you imagine a life that you thought ended at an earthly death? A life that had no comfort when tragedy struck? A marriage in turmoil without our Heavenly Father's glue?

There are times where a dark cloud has loomed. Where the sun didn't shine as bright and I felt overwhelmed and alone. Days where I just wanted to stay in bed and pretend the world didn't exist.

Even in those times I knew God loved me. I may not have felt worthy of that love...but I knew. I was not alone.

I would have been an orphan without God.

My mom cherished me and taught me. My dad played with me. Yet, I would have been alone.

God has not meant us to be orphans.

He is not wanting us to pass the hurting...the orphans, rushing by and not giving the aid (knowledge of God and His Precious Son) that fills the pain, the void.

Orphans surround us. We can't ignore them. We must stop. We must render aid. We must share the gospel. God adopted us as sons and daughters.

We were made to love Him and to be loved by Him. Can you imagine not knowing that?



No comments:

Post a Comment

In the joy of following our Heavenly Father, we sometimes choose to proceed with a whisper, a verse, or a downright shove...no matter how we follow Him, the momentum that follows is like nothing we've ever experienced before.

Join the momentum...it is a beautiful place to be. It's not always easy, but then the best things never are.

Related Posts with Thumbnails