Tuesday, June 1, 2010

"Faith" Booster Shot Four

As I shared in an earlier post, I often skim through Hebrews 11 and don't look in detail at all the examples of faith we have. I decided, as I seek to follow God, that I needed to break it a part and focus on the reality of each individual act of faith.

"By faith Noah, when warned about things not yet seen, in holy fear built an ark to save his family. By his faith he condemned the world and became heir of the righteousness that comes by faith." Hebrews 11:7

When reading this (and all of these mini sections of Hebrews 11) I asked myself, "What is it I need to see and learn from Noah? What do I need to understand about faith through the words shared in this text?"

One area occurred to me like the sunrise in the morning, obvious.

Others may think we are stupid, blind, or oblivious for following God. We may be alone and unsupported because we choose to follow the right way, God's way. We may be criticized. We may have hurtful words thrown at us. We may be alone.

Yet, here's the cool part, we get to "live". Living can mean different things to different people. To me it mean having the joy of KNOWING that you are following God...true living.

So when you feel unsupported and alone. If your family or friends condemn the road you are taking (knowing it's God's road)...don't lose your joy. God's in this. Through the hurt of unkind words, know that in the end our Heavenly Father is the only one we need to please.

In the second part of this verse is talks about "By his faith he condemned the world and became heir of the righteousness that comes by faith."

I really like what my study Bible says about this. It explains it better than I can.

"Noah's faith caused him to act on God's warnings that a flood would cover the world. While Noah believed God, the rest of the people, by contrast, ignored Noah's message of coming judgment. His obedience was and indictment on those who persisted in their disobedience."

I don't think it's ever the intent of acting in faith. The truth is though, following God put a glaring spotlight on those ignoring Him. It's painful to think that. That's not something we find joy in, but it is a result of faith. Sometimes the spotlight has been on us, sometimes on others...never comfortable.

_________________________

Lastly, friends, if you see something that I haven't...I would LOVE for you to share as I journey through Hebrews 11.

Thanks for joining me....

1 comment:

  1. Can I say you are doing what I intended to do all along with MY blog! Pointing others to a reckless and active FAITH!!(I've been terrible at it!) I'll be studying Hebrews 11 with you today:)!

    ReplyDelete

In the joy of following our Heavenly Father, we sometimes choose to proceed with a whisper, a verse, or a downright shove...no matter how we follow Him, the momentum that follows is like nothing we've ever experienced before.

Join the momentum...it is a beautiful place to be. It's not always easy, but then the best things never are.

Related Posts with Thumbnails