Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Box Monday-The Dorms

What is a Memorial Box? A Memorial Box is a way to remember what God has done for us. It's so easy to forget. Think about the Israelites.

You place a item on a shelf or set of shelves (your Memorial Box) dedicated to remembering these stories...to remembering what God has done. When the times get hard, you have a visual reminder that God is there, loving you, holding you, very active in your life.




A long time ago, in a place far far away....I was 18 and living in the dorms (told you it was a long time ago!).

I don't know if you remember (I barely do, it's a little foggy...smile), but everything at 18 was very dramatic, the very best thing to happen or the very worst seemed to happen daily. It can be a rough time for teens. Losing the current "love of your life" or getting a bad grade can feel disastrous.

One night, as I sat in my dorm room crying, I felt so alone. My college friends would ask how that could be, but it's very easy to feel alone in even a room full of people. I was physically and emotionally alone. I don't remember much, just the feeling of emptiness and brokenness.

*Side note-As I've gotten older I realize it is often in those times of brokenness that God is molding us through fire. He is getting rid of the excess to create His new creation.

After what seemed like forever, I heard a knock on the door. Quietly it creaked open. There stood a friend from down the hall. We didn't hang out a ton, but she was a sweet and funny friend. She said, "Kat, God told me I needed to come down here."

That's it, that's the story. I have no memory, except that God loved me and spoke through a amazing young woman to show me that. Her presence was a comfort, but even more was the knowledge that God cared. We all know that, but it amazes me how direct His caring is.

If your struggling and feeling alone, don't forget that you NEVER will be. God is always there. Feel His hand wrapped around your shoulder? You should...He will NEVER leave you.

And to Jen, my sweet University friend, thank you. Even at a young age you allowed God to work through you. You blessed my life and brought me to an even closer walk with my Creator...just by listening to Him.
_______________________________________

We could use some prayers now my friends. Though I am constantly reminded of God's faithfulness, I am just feeling remarkably human today. If you have a moment, please read my last blog.
"Prayerful Sighs...Needing My Friends

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing. And I did read your post about waiting. I will pray and also return to read more about your incredible journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something so simple can be so profound for us. God loves each of us deeply, and is in the details of your ongoing story .....
    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kat,
    What a precious story of someone listening to the Lord's voice and being His "skin on" friend to you at just the right moment.

    Yes, even in the midst of a crowd it can be very lonely....have experienced it many, many times.....
    THank you for sharing...xo

    ReplyDelete

In the joy of following our Heavenly Father, we sometimes choose to proceed with a whisper, a verse, or a downright shove...no matter how we follow Him, the momentum that follows is like nothing we've ever experienced before.

Join the momentum...it is a beautiful place to be. It's not always easy, but then the best things never are.

Related Posts with Thumbnails