Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The Greatest Need in Adoption Today...


Again, thank you "Take Your Vitamin Z" for sharing this article.

"The Greatest Need in the Adoption Movement Today"

This article on adoption is very similar to what I feel about the support offered to adoptive parents when arriving home. There's a missing element once the family becomes whole. Often social workers visit a few times for mandatory follow-up home visits, but that's it. Many adoptive parents are fearful to voice struggles they are having because they are afraid of risking the adoption. I believe wisdom lies in somewhat of a balance between...
*Preparation before custody (understand not only what will probably happen, but what most likely won't)
*Support of the agency (follow up calls and chats)
*Support of other adoptive parents
*Support of friends and family
*The ability to ask for help if we need it

It all started AND starts with walking with God and I don't believe Our Heavenly Father ever meant for us to be alone in trials we may face.

Adoption is not over when the child arrives home, it is just a stepping stone to the blessing of a family concieved in a different way.

The only thing that I have found that I disagree with the author of this article about is one phrase that has always drove me batty.

"Love is not enough"

I think A LOT different about love.

Many say, "Love is not enough" when dealing with a hurt child. I disagree, I think love is enough. I just think love encompasses doing everything you can to help your child. I believe love encompasses being informed, getting outside help, and many other paths or avenues.

I've heard this phrase before, "Love is not enough" and I will ALWAYS disagree with it. I will disagree with it because it contradicts the Bible. Oh, I know what they mean...they mean that the warm fuzzy feeling, holding, snuggling, good intent, and such is not enough. That is not love though, only a small part of it.

Love is ALWAYS enough.

The love that God gives us is not just warmth and holding (though I LOVE that). The love He gave us was painful by giving us His Son. The love He gives us often teaches us what we don't know, gives us the help we need, disciplines, preservers, and gives us His amazing Words (informs).

We just need to remember love is MUCH more than just a few items on a list of snugglies. Love often uses experts, books, and support, and doing the hard thing. Love is enough. It may not make everything happy happy, joy joy. You may have to make hard and life changing decisions, but....

Love, as given to us in the Bible by God, is enough. We just need to remember what love is.

"If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love."


1 Corinthians 13

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree with you both more. And I hope that makes sense :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kat, so true that God's love is enough. What others don't understand is the difference between the world's love and God's love. The world's is from our own feelings the other from God's sacrificial example. The world's is conditional, God's is never-ending. The world's love tells you to abandon your child, your spouse, your faith, when it no longer feels "right", or when the going gets tough. God's love is never-failing.

    We keep you and your adoption journey in our prayers!

    Much Love,
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete

In the joy of following our Heavenly Father, we sometimes choose to proceed with a whisper, a verse, or a downright shove...no matter how we follow Him, the momentum that follows is like nothing we've ever experienced before.

Join the momentum...it is a beautiful place to be. It's not always easy, but then the best things never are.

Related Posts with Thumbnails