Wednesday, December 16, 2009

It Wasn't Me....


The core foundation of our belief is centered around God’s word, the Bible. It is no less important than the core of the human body, the heart, pumping blood to all the organs. The nervous system, or prayer, transforms our life through communication with our Heavenly Father. Attaching us altogether is fellowship or the muscles and tendons. The body’s movement, or service, is when all is working together.

This body is God’s body, belonging to Him. Do we fight Him for it or do we surrender it? Do we build fences around the temple of the Holy Spirit that prevent the total surrender and peace that God intended for us? Do we block communication? Action? The flowing blood of Christ in our lives when we accept Salvation?

Fences, those lovely fences, beautiful and ornate, seductive and tempting….

I think one of the biggest challenges is the invisible fence. Sometimes I think it is more like a chameleon, changing to mimic it’s surroundings so we don’t notice it. It’s the fences we don’t see. As a Christian one of my biggest fears is that I , our culture, and our upbringing have built fences preventing the closeness with our Father in Heaven that He has planned for us…has waiting for us. These invisible fences are so deceptive and insidious that often we find that they have always been a part of our thinking. It is like they are a part of our very being and creation.

I have witnessed events that have caused division because individuals see things as a matter of Salvation or Biblical principles, instead of what they really are, a matter of comfort instead of the Bible. You see, we haven’t been very comfortable lately. We’ve been visiting two Churches that make us very uncomfortable for two very different reasons.

One Church is very modern in a way we’ve never experienced before and totally thinks outside the box. Another Church is SO challenging in it’s teaching that it’s almost painful and refuses to let us sit down and be comfortable. Both these Churches follow the Bible. Neither is seeking to go against God’s word. They are very different and they both take us out of our comfort zones. You see, we had these fences up that God has been slowly tearing down so that we can see Him more clearly and purely, based on His word.

Yet we continue to build fences, not being willing to give up little joys or comforts that we label as "acceptable", because we enjoy them or they are especially comfortable. We make rules based on nothing but what we want. Marinating in the power of our choices (or lack of). We don’t ask or seek God about these rules, instead we base them on what we are comfortable with, what we’ve always been told is appropriate, or what the world (which is one of the scariest as Christians) is putting out there.

All these fences preventing us from a closer walk with God.

This has been eating at me for days. I’m still chewing on it. It’s meaty and solid and the gristle is getting stuck between my teeth. The Pharisees, in John Chapter 9, actually had the gall to tell Jesus that He shouldn’t heal a blind man on the Sabbath….Jesus! Jesus made mud by spitting on the ground and placing it on the blind man’s eyes and told him to wash in the Pool of Siloam…and you know what hard work that is (yes, I am being a little sarcastic). This mud Jesus made was from the same earth that He set as the foundations of the beginning of creation. He also made man from this very same dust, breathing into him the breath of life. How appropriate that Jesus shows His power. This was same earth was the earth that God cursed because of man’s sin. Yet, in this moment, it was not cursed because Jesus is able to purify and correct what is wrong with the earth. He’s also able to make us correct through the blood he shed for us. Yet they made rules, man made rules, forgetting the substance or reason for not working on the Sabbath, adding, and adding, and adding to God’s word. These thoughts have literally been feeding on me. What am I adding that is not there, not Biblical? Is it my taste in entertainment or is it that I’m watching television at all instead of spending that same time in prayer, with family, or at least edifying in some way? What am I clinging to with tenacity? What am I devouring as a false god, holding back from the one REAL God? It hurts and it challenges.

In this challenge God has presented me, I am trying to find the areas I need to take to Him in prayer….the things I’ve really avoided asking Him. Actually, the fence I’ve been praying about and discussing with my husband, I believe is coming into focus? As that fence is coming into focus, I can feel the nibbling of another one? I hope this never stops. I long for the fences to tremble, that prevent me from seeing God clearer that I ever have before. I want them shredded! I long for them be torn asunder! Just as the curtain at the temple was.... the day the Lord shed His blood....the day the earth shook because of how violent love rocked the world to the foundation. Our Maker died, sacrificed himself for our blindness...sin. So do we, who build fences today, think we are really able to stand in His way?

God is so much better than what I’ve been giving Him. He is so much better than anything we could give Him. Doesn’t He deserve our best? Are you giving Him your best?

Me, not so much. So until I am, I will covet the celebration of each fence laying at my feet in ruins. I will stand in victory, stomping on the squalid remains, and I will raise my arms in celebration to my Heavenly Father, because who really tore down those fences? It wasn’t me…..

1 comment:

  1. My Sweet Sweet Kat,

    As I read your words my heart took a deep breath. My thoughts... I found God many years after my birth. In many ways I am still a baby in Christ. When I was looking for a church the 1st time I was not even sure there was a God, (talking about fences!!!). When he entered my heart I did not think I would ever leave that church. However, years later I lost that connection. I did not understand until I found a new church. Now I see it was a journey God had me on. It wasn't a place to be, it was what he wanted me to do with the Church, with the Body of Christ. With all the questions and feelings (aka fences). It was just Gods way of getting me to where I needed to be.

    I think I adjusted a little quicker 'cause I was like a child, a baby in Christ. Sometimes maybe we just need to not look so hard. That way we might be able to see more clear.

    These words may or may not make any sense to you, but it's where my heart sent me.

    With love and kisses,

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete

In the joy of following our Heavenly Father, we sometimes choose to proceed with a whisper, a verse, or a downright shove...no matter how we follow Him, the momentum that follows is like nothing we've ever experienced before.

Join the momentum...it is a beautiful place to be. It's not always easy, but then the best things never are.

Related Posts with Thumbnails