Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Convicted


"Let me use a different example. If you read in a newspaper about hundreds of children dying of malnutrition in a famine in Africa, you might pause for a moment of genuine sadness--but wouldn't you finally turn the page, read the sports section, check the TV listings, and go about your daily routine? But imagine for a moment that you somehow discovered one of these starving African children dying on your front doorstep the very next morning as you left for Church. Would you not stop everything, pick up the child, and rush her to the emergency room, offering to pay whatever it might cost to save her life? You would almost certainly respond with urgency as one human being to another, and that faraway famine you had read about the night before would very suddenly become intensely personal. You see, our problem is that the plight of suffering children in a far-off land simply hasn't gotten personal for us. We may hear about them with sorrow, but we haven't really been able to look at them as if they were our own children. If we could, then we would surely grieve more deeply in our spirits. We would weep for their parents, and we would respond with far greater urgency" Excerpt from The Hole in Our Gospel

I've been absorbing a book recently...contemplating it, and crying through it. I was told, "Do NOT read this book if you don't want to be convicted."

This book is called called "A Hole in Our Gospel" by Richard Stearns. The title alone made me shake my head and think, "Excuse me!"

The Gospel...the Bible...does NOT have a hole in it.

Fortunately, I found out that this book wasn't talking about THE gospel, but the one that we allow ourselves to internalize...avoiding what we don't want to see. This book is about seeing the WHOLE gospel, the Bible, in it's entirety. There are so many things we don't want to see because they are not pretty. They are convicting and we just may have to do something about it.

If you are ready to be convicted and ready to see what you don't want to see, you need to read "A Hole in Our Gospel". It's not for the faint of heart. It's for those that want to see beyond what is easy.

When adopting Bekah and we drove through the beauty of Ethiopia we felt like we were rolling in the joy of the people there. Yet, as we drove down the streets, we watched litter after litter carrying the bodies of those who death had latched on to...more orphans made, more needless death. We heard stories of diseases, easily curable in the U.S., decimating the countryside. We watched human skeletons hobbling down the road or lying in ditches.

The reality is that if you make over $50,000 a year, 99% of the world makes less than you. The reality is that one of six of these precious children, we handed candy to so casually, will not make it past their fifth birthday. The reality is that one in seven of the children strapped to their mother's backs will die by the age of one. "One out of four children in developing countries is underweight, and some 350 to 400 million children are hungry. Worse, it is estimated that a child dies every five seconds from hunger-related causes." How many children have died while you were reading this.?

It is so easy for us to feel so detached, giving money, but not reaching out to those in the greatest need. We are all guilty of this. When reading 2 Corinthians, I came upon this next passage. A passage that reminded me of what I want said about us.

"Out of the most severe trial, their overflowing joy and their extreme poverty welled up in rich generosity. For I testify that they gave as much as they were able , and even beyond their ability. Entirely on their own. They urgently pleaded with us for the privilege of sharing in this service to the saints." 2 Corinthians 8:2-4

You can't say that about us yet...I hope someday you can. In the meantime, I'm going to get my shovel out and try to fill the hole in our gospel.... in an effort to see the Bible, THE Gospel as a whole.

I want to encourage you to read this book. God used this book in my life. I sit here convicted.
____________________________________________



You can purchase "A Hole in Our Gospel" here.

To read more blogs about the needs of orphans around the world and the passion and conviction my husband and I share. Please read the following
My Child
Let Me Tell You About Jesus
The Effect of Economy on Orphans
I Choose to be Blessed

Here is a recent article on the reality of poverty.

1 comment:

  1. Kat, I came across your blog today and I too share the same heart's passion- although sadly I admit I allow the things of the world to often choke that out.

    Thank you for this refresher on the first day of a new year. I hope your words will stay with me to convict me in the coming days and months.

    ReplyDelete

In the joy of following our Heavenly Father, we sometimes choose to proceed with a whisper, a verse, or a downright shove...no matter how we follow Him, the momentum that follows is like nothing we've ever experienced before.

Join the momentum...it is a beautiful place to be. It's not always easy, but then the best things never are.

Related Posts with Thumbnails