Sunday, September 13, 2009

How Did We Get Here?

Sometimes I sit with my heart so heavy, wondering how we got here. How did we get to a place where a basic gift of humanity, food to stave off starvation, clothing to fend off cold…is delegated by what group you worship with or where not even you worship with, but those that are around you in leadership. How did we get to the point that we can walk down the road and ignore a starving child because he’s muslim or hindu? How can we reach someone for Christ, if we will not minister to them out of Christian love?

As a society, we have become so etched in tradition that, at times, I think we forget where this tradition is founded…the Bible. There are so much we accept blindly because we live in a zone called, “Comfort”. Not wanting to stretch and question, not the Bible, but what we feel comfortable with…our traditions.

My heart is aching today. It’s hurting because I am not comfortable. It’s hurting today, not because I’m questioning God or the Bible, but because I’m questioning my comfort zone. My borders are being stretched and I don’t like it…it hurts. I know I need it, but it’s painful. I do praise God that it’s happening, but it’s a painful process…the stretching my “zone” to encompass what God wants it to.

My mom said something very profound to me the other day. She said, “ I don’t want to go somewhere because I’m comfortable….I want to go somewhere because that’s where God wants us to be.”

Mom, after all these years I am still astounded by your wisdom.

Now, for those zones God is stretching….bring it on.

1 comment:

  1. mmmmmmmmm, so good, I don't even know what to say! What am I doing b/c it's comfortable, convenient or what I've always done. . .and what am I not doing b/c it would challenge the status quo?!

    ReplyDelete

In the joy of following our Heavenly Father, we sometimes choose to proceed with a whisper, a verse, or a downright shove...no matter how we follow Him, the momentum that follows is like nothing we've ever experienced before.

Join the momentum...it is a beautiful place to be. It's not always easy, but then the best things never are.

Related Posts with Thumbnails