Saturday, July 18, 2009

High School, Home School, and Five Children

I know this may sound odd, but I have found that when I am doing God’s will, the bigger and more fearful I feel…. the more rewarding it usually is. Does that sound odd? I’m just thinking about the biggest decisions we’ve made in our marriage. Most often the decision goes against the “what’s normal” mentality. I know many women who are in their 9th month of pregnancy who say, “I am SO ready to have this baby!”. I also know the same number of women who, once labor pains have started, say, “I really could’ve waited a little longer…we don’t have to do this now.”

The “labor pains” we have when following God’s will for our life are not always pleasant, often scary, and in the end….amazingly rewarding.

Recently the following verse came to mind.
“And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to his purpose.” Romans 8:28

I got sick. I woke up a week ago Thursday and couldn’t breathe. The acid was pouring up my throat and quickly sent me running to the bathroom heaving. After a few days of illness, allergies, and my “mood” hitting rock bottom…ideas…clarity started floating to the top. I spotted yet another area of my life that I had been exclaiming in my heart, “I will never do this!” It’s funny (I know I’ve said this before) the arrogance we have as humans. We ask God for His will, yet tell Him what we won’t do.

This time I had specifically been saying, “I will NEVER home school high school! That is insane…for others that is great, but for me…I AM NOT smart enough. I don’t have enough time. Our year will be busy enough as it is.”

I read that and yet remember us praying for clarity and guidance in showing us where Tom belonged next year. How could we have thought that we had an open heart when we were choosing the limits of our willingness to follow God.

God used this illness to bring light to a place that still had shadows in our lives. He brought light to the area that needed to be brightened. He brought us back to obedience in this area of our lives.

Yes, in case you are wondering, this is our blog to share that we are home schooling Tom next year as he goes into 9th grade. God has provided a wonderful home school association with many certified teacher’s where Tom will take his core curriculum two days a week. God has provided a wonderful Christian lady (thank you Teri!) that has given me ideas, shown me how this can be done, and encouraged me with her willingness to talk and kind words. God has also given us something we didn’t have in this area of our lives…peace. Peace that Tom will be where God wants him.

Ok, so I’m a little nervous. Yes, it is a BIG responsibility, but for the first time I can (we can…both Thomas and I feel it) see our son coming home content next year. We know the drama will exist…these are the years of drama…but this feels so good.

I wanted to share this with you all, because often we limit God with our thoughts. Our thoughts based so much on the world. God has never acted inside a box the world provides. He has always led us to a reality that is beyond the limits of a mere box. It is beyond the limits of human thought and understanding. He has given us the clear message that we are not “of this world”, we just live in it.

Can it be frightening? Yes, at times. Can it be rewarding? More than you can imagine.

May God bless you all as you follow God’s plans for your life outside the box.

_________________________________________________
Please pray with us as we start this adventure…homeschooling five children. Please also pray with us as we bring our twins home from Ethiopia.

Adoption Prayer Requests:
Please Pray…..
*For these little ones God has chosen to place in our family…for their physical and emotional health in a difficult place.
*For their biological family…that God has His hand on them and brings them peace in whatever they must face.
*That God has His hand on this adoption, guiding us, bringing peace, and financially providing. That the funds pour in like water in a surge of blessing.
*Currently we are in the paperwork stage in which many issues can occur. Please pray that God has His hand on our paperwork and that it gets done and processed quickly and correctly.
*Last, though it may seem a bit premature, please specifically pray that once we are referred our little ones, that they come home quickly and pass court the first time (many are starting to have multiple court dates and a LONG wait until travel). The Ethiopian government is being very cautious and caring with their wonderful children though and for that we are so thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

In the joy of following our Heavenly Father, we sometimes choose to proceed with a whisper, a verse, or a downright shove...no matter how we follow Him, the momentum that follows is like nothing we've ever experienced before.

Join the momentum...it is a beautiful place to be. It's not always easy, but then the best things never are.

Related Posts with Thumbnails